Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I have a 2006, 1.6 SXI Vauxhall Astra, Approx 84,0000 miles and serviced every year.

In the last 18-24 months i have had to replace my coil pack 4 times. The first time i replaced with an aftermarket brand, but the next 3 times were all genuine.

The same coil (2nd from the left) starts to fail after around 6 months (max) - This one was replaced in November-17 so has only taken 5 months! Each time i change the coils i also replace the spark plugs.

I've read plenty of reasons why the coil pack may fail, but can't seem to find anything which would cause one specific coil to fail each time.

Could it be worn or damaged pins? But for that coil only?
Something damaged / wet / dirt where that specific plug is located?
Someone has suggested maybe an electrical fault, but surely that would cause them all to fail?

I plan to take the car into Vauxhall on Monday to see if they suggest anything, but i'd like an idea of what to expect so they don't take advantage.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,195 Posts
I've seen very similar on another 1.6 zafira a and it was due to the egr being blanked. It always failed on cylinder 3. The car never had a coilpacks until it was blanked and then it would kill a genuine coil in less than 12 months.

Have you ever had the egr channels cleaned on this engine. If it's never been done then it's worth looking at as it will be clogged. I'm thinking if the egr ports blocked on just that cylinder it could put excess stress on the coil as that cylinder will be lean compared to the rest. Just something to consider.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've seen very similar on another 1.6 zafira a and it was due to the egr being blanked. It always failed on cylinder 3. The car never had a coilpacks until it was blanked and then it would kill a genuine coil in less than 12 months.

Have you ever had the egr channels cleaned on this engine. If it's never been done then it's worth looking at as it will be clogged. I'm thinking if the egr ports blocked on just that cylinder it could put excess stress on the coil as that cylinder will be lean compared to the rest. Just something to consider.
I hate to admit, but i think you are absolutely right. I did recently blank my EGR valve around 2 months before i last replaced the coil pack because i suspected that could have been causing issues as well! That would certainly explain why it failed so quickly this time around. Think i'll take the blanking plate off tomorrow, put the new coil pack and spark plugs in and hope for the best. I don't plan on having the car much longer than another 6-8 months or so, so hopefully it can last out until then!

Many thanks for your help!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And having the EGR channels cleaned as well - main reason i blanked the valve off was to avoid paying for that, but it does make perfect sense so i think ill go down that route.

·
Premium Member
2,285 Posts
In your picture, the one coil end looks burned, as if exhaust gases have got to it.
The only way that could happen is if the plug was not tightened properly, had dirt under the seal, or damage to the head.
When you change it again, give the plug hole a good clean (brake cleaner spray is good), wipe it out well & inspect for damage before you refit the plug.

Reactions: andy_v

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In your picture, the one coil end looks burned, as if exhaust gases have got to it.
The only way that could happen is if the plug was not tightened properly, had dirt under the seal, or damage to the head.
When you change it again, give the plug hole a good clean (brake cleaner spray is good), wipe it out well & inspect for damage before you refit the plug.
It will be cheap enough to try it! Thanks ill give that a go as well :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts