Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all

I've followed up most of the threads regarding heating issues for the Omega, but having only worked on Fords for the last 20 years, i wanted a second or even third opinion.

I own an S Reg Omega 2L ( first vauxhall and very impressed tbh!). Recently the heater became poor, before that it was fantastic and like a furnace. I've followed up the posts on heater issues on this site, but still am unsure. I replaced the thermostat being my first diagnosis ( and shocked at the price as it's a sealsed unit ! bring back the days of a £4 thermo and a few bob for a gasket !). Topped the car up and still poor heat from the heater althogh now the fan kicks in when it's idling and the guage now gows over 95deg.
The other option i've read is this bypass vavle which without moving the scuttle planel seems awkward to get to. From the matrix i noticed the top hose is bloody hot ! but the bottom one is only p*ss poor worm. The only way to get real heat from the heater is when i rev the car up a bit and keep it there at constant ( say around 2500rpm) or by turning the 'Air circulation' switch on.

So, i'm looking for a second opinion really on if it's either a HBV, or a simply air lock?
The car has air con but this doesn't work as the pump doesn't spin when it's activated. (not really fussed though as i've never had a car with this before so i'm not missing it). The car doesn't lose any coolant and there are no leaks inside as advised.

Any guidance would be appreciated, as i said, i've followed up old posts and the how to's, but am unsure.

Many thanks

·
Club Barge
3,467 Posts
Hello,

Don't be afraid of removing the scuttle, it's a 5 minute job once you become accustomed to it, it also opens up a huge amount of space for working on the engine.

It's highly possible that you just need to perform a coolant change and flush. I'd be inclined to remove the matrix pipes and flush through the matrix as well as the rad.

James

·
Club Barge
3,467 Posts
Not lazy at all :), when I changed my first oil cooler, I left the scuttle in place, but removing it frees up a hugeish amount of space. Be careful you don't lose the little plastic tabs, also check the scuttle goes back on right around the wiper holes. I tended to keep some large rubber washers to hand as the holes can leak once the scuttle has been removed and replaced. Vaseline also makes a good, temporary seal around the edges of the wiper holes, to keep water out of the engine bay.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Many thanks Vectrolosys

I think i found the problem. Managed to get the scuttle panel off ( after realising the clips hidden under the rubber), once i figured out the release clips for the heater matrix hoses ( i'm still used to seeing jubilee clips ! lol ), i saw that not a drop of water came out of the matrix. So out came the hose, flushed the top pipe and clear water out of the bottom, went onto the bottom pipe and brown dirty water poured out the top but it was not too gunky. I left each one for about 5 mins and then shoved the hose onto both the rubber pipes to see if this bypass valve was actually bypassing.
Each hose i connected to allowed water to pour out the other matrix hose fine ( not sure if this proves it waasn't bypassing.
Put it all back together and fired her up....same thing, tepid heat, but slightly better.
decided to release the expansion tank cap to allow to any air locks to move and suddenly the heater went very cold, noticed the thermo had opened up, to a bit of a top up and it's a lot hotter that it used to be. The car still hovers around 95deg, put everything back in place and squeezed the hoses to eliminate any more air locks whilst she idled a bit longer then took her out and BOOM !!! my legs felt like there was about to ignite ! So i guess a flush out and top up may have cured it but i will monitor for a few weeks untill i am totally satisfied.

Thanks for the encouragement in flushing the system out, i guess a few hours work has cured it ( it may also have saved me 30 sovs !!).

·
Club Barge
3,467 Posts
Good to hear. Sounds like it hadn't been flushed for a while. Agree on the clips on the hoses, they can be a right pain!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.