Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,125 Posts
Hammerite.
Although my late Grandad kept his Allegro going for around 20 years spraying the underside of the car with diesel. As this prevented it from rusting further.

·
13,662 Posts
I use the one that Lidl sell, which is basically Krust , on the lawnmowers. Works really quickly and is easy to paint over.
Just don't tip any unused stuff back in the bottle because it renders it useless then. Small bottle lasts ages.
Same sort of stuff in Wilkinson's at the moment for less than a fiver.

·
Super Moderator
14,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I use the one that Lidl sell, which is basically Krust , on the lawnmowers. Works really quickly and is easy to paint over.
Just don't tip any unused stuff back in the bottle because it renders it useless then. Small bottle lasts ages.
Same sort of stuff in Wilkinson's at the moment for less than a fiver.

any of these

·
Premium Member
15,125 Posts
you mean that hamerite kurust, ya only get a little bottle of the stuff.
I've used that kurust stuff years ago on the bottom of a door, didn't work well, probably down to the fact the corrosion was coming from the inside out.
I used Hammerite smooth on my metal garden gate. Gave it a good wire brushing down and a sand as it was rusty. 5 years on the rust has not come back. Maybe if you paint over the kurust, should be ok. I just used the Hammerite smooth straight into metal.

·
Super Moderator
14,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i put some of that kurust on about an hour ago, about 15-20 minutes it had turned the rear axle from a rusty brown colour to black, so it seams to be working, i wire brushed it down yesterday.

·
13,662 Posts
Painting black over black will be fun.

·
Super Moderator
14,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
am sure it will be fine, whats this kurust like if ya get it on copper brake lines, will it be ok, or is it a no no.

·
13,662 Posts
Can't see it being a problem, but if you can try and keep it off them.
KRust is just a very mild acid that reacts with ferric oxide to convert it into a stable layer.
The name of the acid totally escapes me now and is going to annoy me until I can remember it.

·
13,662 Posts
Just remembered it and found you have got it too.
So it conversion ferric oxide to ferric phosphate.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts