Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,328 Posts
You can never compare two cars against each other - even though they may be the same engine etc. One big mistake people make is that they assume that their engine left the factory with the manufacturers figures, and still 'should' have them. Bet if you measured two identical cars that were brand new they wouldn't both get the same figures.

So many factors over time, condition of the engine itself, the actual maintenance history of the engine, how the car has been driven, the air temperature on the day etc etc
Also over or under inflating tyres can have an effect on the RR results. If you over-inflate them the RR reads the bhp higher.

Also remember that bhp and torque output bares no relation to the 0-60 time of your cars. e.g the more bhp you have dosnt necessarily mean you will be faster than someone with less bhp

WannabeCowboy - Cav Turbo - 291bhp - 335lb/ft

Dest - Cav Turbo - 274bhp - 309lb/ft

Ads v6- cav sri turbo- 265 bhp - 345lbs/ft (thanks to dest for help keeping it on the rollers)

Tidzy - Cavalier GSIT - 249bhp - 281lb/ft

JimboJetSet - Astra VXR - 232bhp - 263lb/ft

Stoneshed - Omega MV6 - 228bhp - 262lb/ft

goonas - Astra GSi - 219 bhp - 233 lb/ft

Matt N - Astra GSi - 219bhp - 225lb/ft

Mig_V6 - Cavalier V6 - 190bhp - 187lb/ft

DanBoy - Calibra V6 - 190bhp - 183lb/ft

Carlos - Vectra V6 - 186bhp - 184lb/ft

Shakermaker - Senator - 181bhp - 193lb/ft

Festerfly - Mondeo ST24 - 161bhp - 158lb/ft

JasonM - Astra Coupe 2.2 - 156bhp - 170lb/ft

Iain L - Vectra SRI 150 - -155bhp - 160lb/ft

Turbodave - Cavalier LS - 151bhp 159lbs/ft

C3MKY - GSi2000 OE Spec in 2wd 149bhp - 153lb/ft

Danuk - VX220 - 148bhp - 163lbft

Vauxmaster - Cav SRi - 146bhp - 156lb/ft

Nikkisri - Astra SRI 1.8 - 133bhp - 141lb/ft

LSI - Cavalier SRi SEH - 126bhp - 144lb/ft

Rich C - CavTD - 125bhp - 191lb/ft Or 141bhp - 246lb/ft(with a little bit of gas)

scharatz - Cavalier LS - 94 bhp - 124 lb/ft

dave's.cavy - Cavalier Expression - 91bhp - 111lb/ft

·
vxon cav lover
910 Posts
Aye, happy with my results... as was Kev. Ta to all for making it a good day, even though I didn't hang around long. Whore of a drive home to Jockland... but worth it just to see the expressions change when the old £150 shitter pulled one out the bag.
absolutly quality specialy as the way the operater/staff of jamsport were laughing at the ls was quality the look on hes face when he reved it up mental nice one dave:Cool2:

·
Missing the Booooossst!!!! :-(
8,709 Posts
a bit late but......
Torque is what is measured on the rollers, power is a calculation based the rate at which the power is delivered,
bhp = torque x rpm [all divided be a constant]
any mods/differences will affect this relationship.
http://www.speedworldmotorplex.com/calc.htm
:eh

Good write up in that link! :Cool2:

Also over or under inflating tyres can have an effect on the RR results. If you over-inflate them the RR reads the bhp higher.
Bugga... Knew I'd forgot to check something! :shame:

I reckon my under inflated tyres were to blame for the lost 3bhp! :bust:

·
Floater
3,596 Posts
Bugga... Knew I'd forgot to check something! :shame:

I reckon my under inflated tyres were to blame for the lost 3bhp! :bust:

in which case i am claiming that my tyres were flat and i am missing 30 bhp! :D

oh and my secondaries weren't working it turns out so i would have been higher up and the ford would have come out better off! :lmao:

anyway, i cant complain now.. ive got work on the car to do getting it ready for next time! lol

·
Premium Member
3,632 Posts
Is that standard for the MV6 stoneshed? What mods do you have if not? :D
Just got M-Tek chip, Courtenay filter, Swiss Cheese air box with an extra cold air feed, but its in need of a full service!!

Next time i'll try it with V-Max/ BP Ultimate :D

·
Premium Member
10,875 Posts
Aye, happy with my results... as was Kev. Ta to all for making it a good day, even though I didn't hang around long. Whore of a drive home to Jockland... but worth it just to see the expressions change when the old £150 shitter pulled one out the bag.
151BHP!? Rollers are WELL out! :lmao: :p

·
**VxON Photographer of the year 2008***
4,289 Posts
The thing to take into account with cars and BHP versus torque is how the exhaust and breathing is set up.. this can make a huge difference to this figure and can swing it either way in terms of the torque versus power balance. Same applies to air boxes and induction kits.

a very very free breathing exhaust will typically exhibit better top end BHP but very poor low down torque... whereas a more restrictive exhaust and air breathing system can result in more torque... so as exhaust systems vary as does the torque and power from each car

look at the CDX its air box was actually designed to maximise torque over BHP and as such doesnt breathe superbly well, same with the V6, all in an attempt to give these cars better low down pull.

People who shove hugely derestricted exhausts and add millions of cold feeds to the air box are often just pissing away their low end torque. Its why i always laugh at 1.0 fiestas with HUGE exhausts on them, whatever torque they had has just been pissed away by a total lack of back pressure.

I remember looking into this fairly heavilly when i saw two V6 plots, one had more power and less torque, one had more torque and less power, and it was just down to the slightly different configuration of the exhausts, one was a standard factory system with a sports back box on... the other was a full decat and cat back system... hence less torque.

·
Premium Member
10,875 Posts

·
VXON's middle-aged lesbian.
29,540 Posts
The thing to take into account with cars and BHP versus torque is how the exhaust and breathing is set up.. this can make a huge difference to this figure and can swing it either way in terms of the torque versus power balance. Same applies to air boxes and induction kits.

a very very free breathing exhaust will typically exhibit better top end BHP but very poor low down torque... whereas a more restrictive exhaust and air breathing system can result in more torque... so as exhaust systems vary as does the torque and power from each car

look at the CDX its air box was actually designed to maximise torque over BHP and as such doesnt breathe superbly well, same with the V6, all in an attempt to give these cars better low down pull.

People who shove hugely derestricted exhausts and add millions of cold feeds to the air box are often just pissing away their low end torque. Its why i always laugh at 1.0 fiestas with HUGE exhausts on them, whatever torque they had has just been pissed away by a total lack of back pressure.

I remember looking into this fairly heavilly when i saw two V6 plots, one had more power and less torque, one had more torque and less power, and it was just down to the slightly different configuration of the exhausts, one was a standard factory system with a sports back box on... the other was a full decat and cat back system... hence less torque.
Yep.

In the 80's and 90's, people were whipping the Irmscher airboxes of their Nova Sports, and fitting K&N's/trumpets to the Twin 40's instead.

This was all done on the basis that the SPECIALLY DEVELOPED airbox was 'restrictive',...................when in actual fact, it had been developed for maximum torque.

This became noticable when you put your mates in the car and drove up a steep hill - It just wasn't the same.

·
Premium Member
12,918 Posts
But which would you rather have, more BHP or more Torque. All depends on the car's all round purpose I suppose.

·
Yawn.
2016 Focus ST-3 & 2020 Puma ST-LineX
13,808 Posts
But which would you rather have, more BHP or more Torque. All depends on the car's all round purpose I suppose.
Torque here. Which is why i was pretty happy with my RR figure the other day... :Cool2:

·
29,540 Posts
Its also why i cant wait to drive the V6
Sadly though, it's a myth that the Vauxhall V6 pulls really well at low revs.

They don't really get interesting until around 4,000rpm :(

·
**VxON Photographer of the year 2008***
4,289 Posts
thats not really the engines fault though.. on the manual thats down to hugely wide gearing and a 16 kilo flywheel!!!

on the auto its the wide 4 speed box and the heavy ass flex plate.. either way you lose.

Ive been in a V6 that had a 5 kilo lightened flywheel and even on standard gearing that thing absolutely romps from just no revs at all.

Bloody american emissions laws that led the V6 to having such a heavy flywheel, and its such a waste.

·
29,540 Posts
thats not really the engines fault though.. on the manual thats down to hugely wide gearing and a 16 kilo flywheel!!!

on the auto its the wide 4 speed box and the heavy ass flex plate.. either way you lose.

Ive been in a V6 that had a 5 kilo lightened flywheel and even on standard gearing that thing absolutely romps from just no revs at all.

Bloody american emissions laws that led the V6 to having such a heavy flywheel, and its such a waste.
Not MY experience of them (with or without lightened flywheels) ;)

Good luck though :D

41 - 60 of 60 Posts