Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Yawn.
2016 Focus ST-3 & 2021 Hyundai i20N
13,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did start a thread lastnight, but fell asleep while writing it and when i eventually woke up I shut down my browser without copying/pasting what i'd already written... :lmao:

So, thanks to all that came - it was a great turnout! :Cool2:

My day started when I had to wake up at 5am, mill about getting my act together then heading up to Shaftesbury to meet up with Keith (fluffsri) at around 6.00. We then took a leisurely drive up, barely topping the limits all the way, apart from once when some dozy bint didn't move over at the exit of a sliproad meaning we had to slow down to wait for her to go past then get back in front... When we were in the last few miles, we stumbled across Martin (c20xemad) as he was leaving a petrol station so, he joined in the convoy and we all turned up at Jamsport at around 8.30 to find a few members already there including Mark & Nick (scharatz)

Over the next half hour or so, nearly all other attendees arrived, and the runs started not too long after 9.00...

WBC (Si) went first - but the Cav was suffering from a misfire as the boost pressure increased - reccomendations of replacement plugs/gap adjustment was suggested and after Si had to shoot off to run some errands he returned later in the day, fettled and rerun the Cav after everyone else had, this time without issue (other than requiring some 'ballast' over the front wheels) making some good figures, much to Nicks disappointment...

Mark ran his Vectra next - in standard condition with some Dipetane fuel system cleaner in the tank, the car returned a healthy reading over book figures

Scharatz (Nick) ran the '1.8' Cav next - problem free and producing good figures over 250bhp, and the highest power of the day for a while...

c20xemad (Martin) was up next with his Astra - another good run producing a shade over book figures - although after the run I did spy him looking at Jamsports XE Tuning Price lists... :lmao:

fluffsri (Keith) was next with his Vectra 3.2 - one of the better sounding cars of the day IMO, and recording bang on Keiths estimated power figure

Stoneshed (Phil) was next with the 3.2 Signum Auto - sounded good and recorded a good figure a little less than book, but being an Auto which are notorious for giving odd readings it didn't seem to bother Phil

Ian ran next in the Astra GTE 24v - producing a strong 200bhp and impressing Jamie who was running it - shame it's supposed to be going back to standard!

The Morphiuz (Si) ran his Cav Turbo next - cue many comments about reliability, potential blindness of the operators from the dash warning lights etc etc, it actually ran quite well considering it was having issue with holding boost pressure at the top end of the rev range

GreyDJ (John) was next with his Calibra Turbo - unfortunately, there was an issue here and the run was aborted - a loud audible pop noise was heard as the car came on boost, maybe caused by a misfire

Oillite (Brian) was next with his Astra VXR VX-Racing edition - very nice car, making good standard figures

Matt_b_uk (Matt) was next in the Pimp Van - convinced to run the van under the threat of being bummed IIRC?! :lmao:

Eddieace (Eddie) ran his Vectra SRi DTi next - ran well and set some good figures for a lightly fettled Diesel

Newflesh_2000 was next with his Cavalier XEV - produced a smidge under book figures but seemed otherwise Ok - sounded like my old one - brought back some memories...

Mig_V6 ran his V6 Cav next - this sounded good - enough to lure a couple of the workers from the tyre place next door to come and have a look at what was making the noise!

I ran next, unfortunately not in my Corsa due to being on call over the weekend - however - by bringing the Mazda 6 Diesel i managed to score top torque of the day, and in the process, managed an extremely high power figure considering what it is/should be, that was totally unexpected - the car is 100% standard but running on a 'performance' fuel blend (Shell & BP) and Dipetane fuel system cleaner...

Jamie did comment that he sees a few standard modern diesels coming through that record higher figures than the manufacturers claim, so shouldn't think anything was wrong with the rollers etc - especially as everyone else was getting expected/accurate figures

Alex was next in his 525i Wagon - for some reason i didn't get a picture of this running, probably due to me sorting other stuff out after mine had been on - sorry!

After Alex's run, we were waiting around for WBCs second run, but almost everyone hung around which was good;

Then it came to handing out our small awards to the respective winners (prizes in the bag in my hand, not chips! :lmao:);

The first award was for Top Car - recording the highest power of the day - it went to WBC (Si) for his LET GSi at 261bhp;

The second award was for Operators Choice - we asked Jamie which car was his favourite of the day - he chose Ian's Astra GTE V6;

The third award was for TV Reps Choice - we asked the photographer present which was his favourite car of the day - he chose the Astra of c20xemad (Martin)

And finally, the fourth award was for the Duffer - the car that recorded the lowest power or failed spectacularly on the rollers - this went to Matt_b_uk (Matt) who recorded 79bhp from the Pimp Van

And all 4 together;

And upon that, the day ended.

Some of us went to get some lunch nearby before heading on/to the AGM

A good day out indeed - annoyingly I never received a call out yesterday, so could have risked turning up in the Corsa after all, but oh well.

·
Premium Member
2,267 Posts
Nice one Dave, just wish I could have joined you guys there, rather than replacing my fan switch and having dinner with the in-laws.

And Nick, that base model Cavalier of yours wants to come and live in Devon... Being the altruistic guy I am - I'll look after it!

·
Premium Member
3,845 Posts
Was good to see you again Dave :Cool2: A very good day out and i got to pick my puppy up on the way home!:)

·
Zimmer GT for me!
Black, Astra 1.9 CDTI "Caravan" (apparently).
3,513 Posts
Oh flickin blip! I got the dates wrong, thought it was next weekend for some reason. :rolleyes:
Apologies .
I'll see if I can get a thickness test.

Hope you folkys all had a great day though. :Cool2::Cool2:

And I was working on the car yesterday too. Fitted some coilovers just for amusement so just need it tracked ready for the RR day. :mmmm Well bow locks to it. :shake

Who's car had the lowest power? I was hoping to beat that. :lmao:

·
Premium Member
10,875 Posts
Nice to see you again Dave. Good write up.

cue many comments about reliability, potential blindness of the operators from the dash warning lights etc etc, it actually ran quite well
You seem surprised..... ;)
Might have got 220 if I'd had some dipetane in the tank! :lmao:

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
Good write up :Cool2:

I haven't heard mine from the outside for a while, it's partly the noise that makes me keep it :wub: Just need to see why the power is down :cry:

It was good to catch up with people again. Thanks again to Nick for letting me take the 1.8 for a blast :cool:

·
Premium Member
10,875 Posts
I haven't heard mine from the outside for a while, it's partly the noise that makes me keep it :wub: Just need to see why the power is down :cry:
Ain't you had them rocker covers off yet...? :lmao:

If you're free in the week, preferably Friday, I can pop over with some tools in exchange for V-Power, coffee and Marlboros... :D

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
Ain't you had them rocker covers off yet...? :lmao:

If you're free in the week, preferably Friday, I can pop over with some tools in exchange for V-Power, coffee and Marlboros... :D
I'm commited to finding out why, just not in the rain :lmao:

I'm off every friday, but not sure what i'm doing this fri. Are you still over Buxton way as i'm in Matlock every fri.

·
Premium Member
10,875 Posts
I'm commited to finding out why, just not in the rain :lmao:

I'm off every friday, but not sure what i'm doing this fri. Are you still over Buxton way as i'm in Matlock every fri.
:lmao: Fair enough!

Aye, still in Buxton dude... PM sent.

·
CavWeb's Oldguy
4,816 Posts
I enjoyed being there again, seeing some familiar faces. Echo the excellent organisation.
Bit of a quick entry/exit as it only made an initial run-up (ooops forgot to remove fuse 19!) with a misfire with an impressive burst of black exhaust smoke before rolling out again in ignominy.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Well I had an absolutley s*** day yesterday. Just before my exit on the M6 there was a noise on my engine and the temp guage shot up. I turned off and pulled into a layby, my aux belt had split and got tangled up. So no water pump hence engine overheating. Also no power steering and alternator wasn't charging the battery. SatNav said I only had 3.7 miles until JamSport. I had been driving 3 hours and it decided to go last minute. I noticed a few members passing while I had my bonnet up but no one stopped to help. My car is still in Northampton, in a garage getting a new belt put on, I'm getting the train to pick it up tomorrow. You have no idea how upset and annoyed I am. I spent a lot on it the last week getting it ready, and fuel 3 hours there and 3 hours back, and nothing to show for it :(

·
15,300 Posts
Thats a shame, you should of called Jamsport and explained the problem.
Im sure they would of been able to source a belt and fit it for you

·
Premium Member
2,267 Posts
That's crap Pete, I think I'd be as miffed as you are!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts