Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
I'll do it eventually...
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was always under the impression that small cars were quite economical on petrol, but my girlfriend's metro seems to be drinking fuel!

Anyone any ideas on what to look for, or what i can do about it?

·
CavWebs Thin lizzy Dude
599 Posts
What mpg does it do?

I suppose first ports of call would be check for leaks, check mix & monitor gf's driving style, nothing worse for economy than a lead boot or not changing up till it's red-lining..

·
6,336 Posts
... or start with a simple service and go from there ... air/oil filters, plugs and oil ... cheap and will cure 75% of 'probelms'

my immediate guess wouold be an overdue air filter change ... ? take a look at it and see what colour it is ...

·
I'll do it eventually...
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Domski said:
What mpg does it do?

I suppose first ports of call would be check for leaks, check mix & monitor gf's driving style, nothing worse for economy than a lead boot or not changing up till it's red-lining..
What do you mean by check mix?
And i would love to blame her diving but i don't think that is the problem ...... this time :p

JamesM said:
... or start with a simple service and go from there ... air/oil filters, plugs and oil ... cheap and will cure 75% of 'probelms'

my immediate guess wouold be an overdue air filter change ... ? take a look at it and see what colour it is ...
Definately worth a look at air filter for an easy start. Could do the others i suppose, oil could definately do with a change as is quite black, but does that help fuel efficiency in any way?

C

·
0 Posts
If service items are questionable, you need to service it to give it a fighting chance at returning a decent mpg figure.

·
Registered
110 Posts
And if it's not service items, check the water usage. Could be head gasket failure if it's a K Series engine, one of the early warnings is fuel economy hits the floor and water usage hits the roof!

·
Trisexual
2,149 Posts
My mum had a Rover 100 (basically the same) 1.1 which did 19mpg! Took it to rover, and lots of other garages, but no one could find what was wrong. Had to get rid of in the end, PXd it for a new ford.

·
I'll do it eventually...
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
scotty0409 said:
My mum had a Rover 100 (basically the same) 1.1 which did 19mpg! Took it to rover, and lots of other garages, but no one could find what was wrong. Had to get rid of in the end, PXd it for a new ford.
:( Tis a nice little car, with only 25,000 miles from new. Would be a shame to have to get rid of it.

Had a look at the air filter today and was full of gunk - dead flies etc, given it a quick clean and will get a new one monday.

Also had a look at the tyres to find that one was 11psi, and another 14psi!
Took them to be reparied this morning as both appeared to have slow punctures.

·
Trisexual
2,149 Posts
just realised my mate's V10 BMW M6 is more economical than my mum's old rover.:lmao:

The mechanics were convinced it was something to do with the computer, but they couldn't figure out what. Hopefully in your case it was just the filter:Cool2:

·
I'll do it eventually...
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
scotty0409 said:
just realised my mate's V10 BMW M6 is more economical than my mum's old rover.:lmao:

The mechanics were convinced it was something to do with the computer, but they couldn't figure out what. Hopefully in your case it was just the filter:Cool2:
Would be nice hey!

Have to see if she is still complaining at the end of this week that she has had to put petrol in the car!

·
Flibblemeister General
1,328 Posts
If its a 1992 it probably still has the SU carb with the open loop 2 way catalyst system. Could well be the main needle is worn or the float isn't adjusted correctly, both of which could increase fuel consumption.

·
CavWebs Thin lizzy Dude
599 Posts
Next time she fills up, get her to set the trip meter back to zero, then next time make a note of how many miles are on the meter & how much fuel to fill up.

Get her to do this a few times so you can see if any changes have made a difference, I would expect correctly inflated tyres from 11psi should make a fair difference.

·
I'll do it eventually...
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Have told her to do that. She says it is doing about 180miles at the moment to a tank, so will have to see if the tyres and new air filter make any difference.

·
I'll do it eventually...
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sort of a bit of both really. She does a 15 mile drive to work every day, but uses it round town in the evenings as well to go see friends etc

·
I'll do it eventually...
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Apparently repairing the 2 punctures she has accumulated and telling her to check her tyre pressures a bit more regularly than never seems to have helped a bit!

Still not great, but a step in the right direction :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts