Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,,,,

Well I have done the rockers on my 2.5 97 Vintage about 4 weeks ago and then i got the whiff of aroma of oil ...decided to have a peak in the plug well N01 ..and guess who said hello.....YUP Mr Duckhams 10w40.....half full and rising...!!
Any ideas how to fix as ive used new rocker seals (not vx though) and vx black sealant.
(Ron Mcb can u help as undisputed rocker king...??)

MONZA

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rocker seals

Hi .....It looks ok, the joint seemed to pull down ok when i refitted.......it sealed for a few weeks ...n03 plug well looks ok..ish

monza

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
well from previous posts, I'd say the following:

1. make sure that you clean out the breathers - if blocked this causes the crankcase pressure to increase and blow the gaskets
  2. only use genuine rocker cover gaskets, copies aren't as good
  3. your oil pump may be over-pressurising
(1-2 from Ron, 3 from GeffD)

then again it may be a combination of all 3 points and/or warped rocker covers?

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
Breather pipes could be the problem, but it also could be too much use of the sealant pushing the gasket beyond its capabilities.

I on the other hand am going down to Vauxhall dealer to rip them a new set of buttocks. They supplied me with both sides no problem. Opened the bag for the o/s gasket to find to right hand gaskets for the head. Have had to use old gasket for the time being but its now time to do it (for the 3rd time!! Finlay still beats me on that one though lol) as the smell of oil is making me ill at 0500hrs when I arrive at work. Should have done it months ago when I rebuilt her, but I'm a bit Slac on that lol.

I'll be re-doing the breather pipes too, Finlay and others will confirm that breather pipes need to be done to save future grief.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can you tell me whats required to be done with the breathers and which ones?....also location of em please?

Cheers
Monza

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
ive just done my rocker cover n/s and cleaned the breathers as rb said to and ive got an instant increase in mpg, i never got more than 22 mpg on way to/from work and today it was 26. mine has got a bit of old oil still to burn off but cant wait till that has gone. think ill keep the car now with this sorted and a decent mpg. i got mine from autovaux, needed new cover and it came with all the gaskets and seals in place so hopefully it will last.

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
think new cover with the gaskets and o rings was 59 + vat. plenum gaskets were 4.95 each

R

·
0 Posts
Breathers - definitely. Great How2 in the How2 section by some clever bloke.

Gaskets from Autovaux, £35 per bank delivered inc 8 'o' rings and genuien VX gaskets.

Took me 5 goes to realise what the problem was. Cleaned breathers, no more leaks, instant increase in power AND mpg.:Cool2:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts