Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
Im leaking oil from the rocker cover again, this is the third time in as many months, ive had it repaired at no cost at the garage that did the original repair, but she just keeps leaking.:(

Any idea's why? :think Ive had the breathers cleaned etc

Anybody know a good garage in Bristol or surronding area that could do the repair for a good price?:think

Hoping you can help

Steve

·
Dammit...driving the world's most boring car
2,283 Posts
Omega?

(What else....)

notorious for blocked breathers & leaky rocker covers.

It may be that the seals were changed, but no sealant was put in the groove or the plastic covers are warped due to age/heat.

Quick test to confirm if the breathers are actually clear...as more often than not they are not is pop off the oil filler cap with the engine running & put your hand over it (seal the hole) if ANY pressure builds up and you get a 'puff', your breather are blocked and oil won't stop pi$$ing out of the seals.

Either REALLY get the breathers cleaned (usually the thin pipes on top of the manifold that are bunged up - under the black cover) or release the pressurised blow-by gasses to the air by vnting the filler cap. I modded an old 2.5 to do this - make sure...really sure you use a pipe (eg, fish tank air tubing) to get the gasses away from the cabin air intake!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes sorry Omega 2.5 CD Estate. Breathers are clear, had them checked as that was my first thought.
The plastic covers you mentioned may be warped, how much to get replacements and how difficult are they to fit etc ?
Steve

·
Registered
60 Posts
Omega

Don't know enough to comment on the pressure idea as stated above, but sounds like a good plan. In relation to the existing gaskets, are they genuine Vx ones as aftermarket ones don't seem to be good enough for the Omega. Make sure they are genuine, and that the correct sealant is being used (if used at all!).
New camcovers, which include gaskets, retail at about £66 each plus vat IIRC, but you would need to check to be sure. No problem to fit as they are simply a replacement for the ones you take off.
Good luck, and let us know how you get on.:up:

·
Club Barge
3,467 Posts
Hello,

Whereabouts in Bristol are you?

Cheers,

James

·
Registered
75 Posts
When I went to buy rocker cover gaskets from the Vauxhall main dealer, I also asked for a tube of the black sealant. He asked me what I needed it for, my answer was to do the rocker cover gaskets.
"Don't need it" was the reply, "we never use it".

Maybe that's why your gaskets are still leaking even after they've been replaced?!

You could do it yourself, it's a fiddly pig of a job but not exactly difficult.

·
Omega Tank Commander
7,722 Posts
When I went to buy rocker cover gaskets from the Vauxhall main dealer, I also asked for a tube of the black sealant. He asked me what I needed it for, my answer was to do the rocker cover gaskets.
"Don't need it" was the reply, "we never use it".

Maybe that's why your gaskets are still leaking even after they've been replaced?!

You could do it yourself, it's a fiddly pig of a job but not exactly difficult.
At which point you have to ask the question.....why do they have an extra stage at great cost in the factory to apply it.....

I love some garages....clearly stupid.

·
www.morderstein.com
1,552 Posts
Fit Vectra ally covers mate - they don't leak like the plastic ones fitted to Omega/Cavalier/Calibra/Saab etc.
The Vectra V6 has a different induction system (better then the other cars), and for some reason The General fitted ally lids.

·
Club Barge
3,467 Posts
Fit Vectra ally covers mate - they don't leak like the plastic ones fitted to Omega/Cavalier/Calibra/Saab etc.
The Vectra V6 has a different induction system (better then the other cars), and for some reason The General fitted ally lids.

They also look nicer :).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replies. Yes the gaskets were VX parts. Only leaking at the back, its got to be warped covers.

How much for the Vectra Ally covers and are they an exact fit or do they need a Mod?

·
Meep-Meep
2,224 Posts
I paid £20 for a pair for my Cav V6.

I should have thought that they will fit the Omega V6 lump with no problems.

I was also advised to apply the gaskets dry, and was meticulous about the surface prep. They pissed oil everywhere, so had to do it all again with sealant, and they were perfect.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The Vauxhall ally covers don't fit. I was told when mine went west. You need the palstic ones. They do warp. I think mine went at the time when the 3 way halve at the back of the engine spued steam everywhere.

In addition, check that the cylinder head gaskit is not leaking. Again, I solved the rocker cover problem only to find the cylinder hed issue. Kept filling the car up with accrid smoke.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The Vauxhall ally covers don't fit. I was told when mine went west. You need the palstic ones. quote]

Whoever told you that was telling porkies mate - I've done it, and they go straight on!
The guy that fixed my car was an ex Vauxhall main dealer mechanic who had owned a V6 and stripped it down. His experience was based on the position of pipes etc. Not whether they are an exact fit. Well done getting them on but my info was based on his experience.

Have to say that the engine is running really sweet now. Well chuffed with it.

·
Banned
1,028 Posts
The guy that fixed my car was an ex Vauxhall main dealer mechanic who had owned a V6 and stripped it down. His experience was based on the position of pipes etc. Not whether they are an exact fit. Well done getting them on but my info was based on his experience.

Have to say that the engine is running really sweet now. Well chuffed with it.
what pipes? there are none on either cam cover versions

1 - 20 of 25 Posts