Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a X20XEV engine in my Cav - a '95 CDX. The rocker has been leaking for some while and is now getting worse. I need to change the gasket and have purchased one from Vaux. Could not believe the price - nearly £30 which was almost as much as the new battery I got at the same time!

My Haynes book details the removal process for the twin cam engine but it is not mine. I think they are talking about what seems to be referred to on here as the Red Top.

Question is, how easy is it to remove the rocker cover in the first place. Firstly, there is the cam sensor to worry about. How does this disconnect? Do you push the metal part in on the connector thereby releasing it? Should this be done with the battery disconnected to protect the ECU? What about the wire that is clipped the other side of the cam cover and runs to the crank sensor. Is this simply unclipped? Do you have to take the plugs out?

When putting the new gasket in place, I am guessing that you simply replace it. The parts guy also supplied 10 o rings saying "you will need these as well mate". I have read on the Omega site that you need to use sealant on the gasket and that these O rings are supposed to be held in with grease. Is this the case here?

Thanks for any advice and sorry for the length of the post.

C

·
0 Posts
Yeah sensor unclips as said. Didn't worry with battery. Crank sensor cable just moves out the way.
I just followed tightening sequences in haynes, sure mine covered ecotec. Cleaned all oil out of grooves etc and fitted new gasket dry, no sealant.

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
The cover itself is easy enough to take on and off,as said above unplugging the cam sensor wire is no probs and apart from a few breather pipes thats it.The biggest problem i've had is the have always leaked into the sparkplug wells on both my ecotecs even after changing the gaskets.Not sure how to overcome this problem at the moment.

·
22,199 Posts
My rocker gasket cost me £9 from factors...same as Vaux one AFAIK...and i also fitted mine dry with no sealant, cleaned out all the cover channel with kitchen roll and the head mating surface so both were clean and pretty much dry...and 'touch wood' it looks leak free

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for all your replies.

Callyt - i can't find any tightning sequence in the Haynes manual - it mentiones 20 bolts but mine only has 10. Guessing that this is because it is talking about the Red Top and not the Ecotec. What is the sequence and what is the torque setting required?

Has anyone found about the oil leaking in to the sparkplug wells like Robmk3?

Thanks again

·
22,199 Posts
I dont think there is a sequence for the rocker bolts, thats usually just for the head bolts...could be wrong though, but i usually just do the 1st then the one opposisite...do them finger tight until they are all done, then just nip them up abit more with the socket.

and yes, my spark plug wells were full of oil...used a whole roll of kitchen roll drying them out before i removed the plugs so as not to have oil pouring though.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, will need to check my plugs as well then. Do you need to take the plugs out before removing the cover??

I am booking the car in at my local vaux dealership for a timing belt change, coolant and brake fluid so I may well give them the gasket and ask them. Not sure what to do really.

Thanks for all your advice!

·
8v Power!
10,748 Posts
rocker gasket aint that hard,even I cando them. And I'musless - ask anyone here :D

As has been said already,
unbolt,
remove rocker,
wipe down both surfaces,
place new gasket on,
place cover ontop.
rebolt finger tight and then nip off.

Admir,make uereverything isniceandclean andstart er up:)

·
22,199 Posts
Envoy CDX said:
As has been said already,
unbolt,
remove rocker,
wipe down both surfaces,
place new gasket on,
place cover ontop.
rebolt finger tight and then nip off.
You dont place the new gasket 'on' with the Ecotec or any 16v engine...it has to be carefully fitted in the channel in the rocker cover.

erm, cant remember if you 'need' to take the plugs out before you remove the rocker cover...i think i did, but then if your plug well's are full of oil, i wouldnt take the plugs out before cleaning the oil out.

·
8v Power!
10,748 Posts
MadOnVaux! said:
You dont place the new gasket 'on' with the Ecotec or any 16v engine...it has to be carefully fitted in the channel in the rocker cover.

erm, cant remember if you 'need' to take the plugs out before you remove the rocker cover...i think i did, but then if your plug well's are full of oil, i wouldnt take the plugs out before cleaning the oil out.
Oh sorry. :(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts