Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2001 Movano to use as a simple, summer camper for my young family. It didn't have an MOT when I bought it and it just failed when I put it through, though not on anything horrific. Simple ball joints, track rod end, tyres etc. Also on the rear lights. I think the main reason is simply bad connections possibly linked to some pretty crude splicing of the electrics to feed a twin plug tow bar set-up (which otherwise I was happy to have). I'm starting to go through and look at this but I can't find power at the rear cluster to the reversing light (gears in reverse, ignition on but engine not running). I also can't find the fuse to the reversing lights. It doesn't seem to be labelled in the fusebox, nor referred to in the manual. I've checked the operation of the reversing switch on the gearbox... it makes the contact in reverse and seems to work fine. I'm guessing the circuit must share a fuse. Any advice gratefully received. New Member by the way... thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
2,644 Posts
I just bought a 2001 Movano to use as a simple, summer camper for my young family. It didn't have an MOT when I bought it and it just failed when I put it through, though not on anything horrific. Simple ball joints, track rod end, tyres etc. Also on the rear lights. I think the main reason is simply bad connections possibly linked to some pretty crude splicing of the electrics to feed a twin plug tow bar set-up (which otherwise I was happy to have). I'm starting to go through and look at this but I can't find power at the rear cluster to the reversing light (gears in reverse, ignition on but engine not running). I also can't find the fuse to the reversing lights. It doesn't seem to be labelled in the fusebox, nor referred to in the manual. I've checked the operation of the reversing switch on the gearbox... it makes the contact in reverse and seems to work fine. I'm guessing the circuit must share a fuse. Any advice gratefully received. New Member by the way... thanks for your help.
Have you got power at the connection for the reverse light switch on the gearbox?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"Have you got power at the connection for the reverse light switch on the gearbox?"

Sorry, should have said. I checked between each connection at plug and good earth (gearbox braided connection) and no power when ignition on (not engine). I also have been through the fuses to check for blown and found one.. rear sidelights I think. I switched that one out and still no joy.

·
Premium Member
2,644 Posts
"Have you got power at the connection for the reverse light switch on the gearbox?"

Sorry, should have said. I checked between each connection at plug and good earth (gearbox braided connection) and no power when ignition on (not engine). I also have been through the fuses to check for blown and found one.. rear sidelights I think. I switched that one out and still no joy.
Have you tried bridging the wires in the reverse light switch plug to see if it puts the lights on?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you tried bridging the wires in the reverse light switch plug to see if it puts the lights on?
No, since I didn't find any voltage at the connection. I could though, although it seems like I'm looking for a power to the switch problem.
I'll try it tomorrow, thanks for your input.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, linked but nothing. Seems like either the fuse has blown (although I can't find it if it has) or a bad connection/ broken wire. Anyone know which fuse it's coming from?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, ignition on. Tried with the engine on too. There's a bad connection (no connection) somewhere... the engine had some work done to it before I bought it and maybe the wire was damaged somehow. So nobody knows the fuse identity?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, Problem solved. I also posted on the Renault forum and someone told me that the supply for the reversing light was the same as the rear brake lights. Embarrassingly, this fuse was missing from the board completely.
With the fuse replaced, it all worked fine..
Thanks for your help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts