Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I'm new to the forum and new to owning a Vauxhall, so hello everyone :)

We have a 2006 Astra estate, which on the whole, we're pretty pleased with. (Apart from the major engine failure just after we bought it, but that's another story). However, the somewhat heavy-handed previous owner has managed to b****r up the retractable boot cover/blind thingy. It retracts OK, it just won't disengage. When you pull the handle, nothing happens. In order to get the cover to retract, you have to grasp the cover at either side, and wiggle the bar about in order to get the two lugs to disengage from the slider. Happily the cover then rolls up nicely.

So, my question is, can this be fixed? I've already had the thing out and removed the end caps, but I can't see exactly how the mechanism works, in order to make the lugs disengage. Are they supposed to turn, retract, or move inwards? Any ideas?

Here is a pick of the offending lug, shown wrong-side-up with the cover open, so that you know what I'm talking about:

20170820_142530[1].jpg

There are two clips either side of the flap that the handle is joined to. These had become detached, but I've clipped them back in place (but it's made no difference):

20170820_142513[1].jpg

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Super Moderator
26,956 Posts
Hi

I'm new to the forum and new to owning a Vauxhall, so hello everyone :)

We have a 2006 Astra estate, which on the whole, we're pretty pleased with. (Apart from the major engine failure just after we bought it, but that's another story). However, the somewhat heavy-handed previous owner has managed to b****r up the retractable boot cover/blind thingy. It retracts OK, it just won't disengage. When you pull the handle, nothing happens. In order to get the cover to retract, you have to grasp the cover at either side, and wiggle the bar about in order to get the two lugs to disengage from the slider. Happily the cover then rolls up nicely.

So, my question is, can this be fixed? I've already had the thing out and removed the end caps, but I can't see exactly how the mechanism works, in order to make the lugs disengage. Are they supposed to turn, retract, or move inwards? Any ideas?

Here is a pick of the offending lug, shown wrong-side-up with the cover open, so that you know what I'm talking about:

View attachment 32513

There are two clips either side of the flap that the handle is joined to. These had become detached, but I've clipped them back in place (but it's made no difference):

View attachment 32521

Thanks in advance for any help.
Mines just the same , I've got used to it over the years lol

Reactions: Magenta

·
Premium Member
2,601 Posts
On all the Astra estates I have seen, you push the handle down to release the catches. Maybe I've just been lucky with the three we have had in our family.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts