Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP !!

I'm in the process of tidying up the grill and wing mirrors on my Cav. I've rubbed the mirrors down, nice and smooth etc. I give them a blast of primer, and in certain areas the primer seems to 'crack', not all over the mirror just in parts. I've rubbed it down and redone it, but the cracking re-appears.

Can anyone shed any light on what on earth I'm doing wrong ?

Grill has come up a treat, so has most of the mirror !!

Cheers.

·
you're BARRED.
1,313 Posts
what you are spraying requires "plastic primer" as the first coat.

·
Up For The Craic
11,050 Posts
Sounds as though you are getting a reaction between the new paint and either the old paint under it of contamination of the surface. Did you use panel wipe before spraying?

Also, if you have penetrated the old paint through to the plastic you need to use plastic primer first.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WOAH !! They are quick responses !! Cheers.

No didn't use panel wipe, just turpentine (sp?) I'm just using ordinary primer, as I'm just spraying effectively over the top of paint, not directly on to plastic. Guess I'll be off to shop to get some plastic primer tomorrow then.

Cheers again for the quick replies.

·
you're BARRED.
1,313 Posts
be warned.. some plastic primers are clear and when sprayed look like someone's forgot to put the paint in. they work just fine but it can be difficult to see where you have and haven't covered.

I always prefer the "coloured" plastic primer.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
can you tell I ain't a pro at this yet ??? Still trial and error.

Cheers for the help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts