Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,, hope you all had a great Xmas!
Any help 2.0 DTI 52 plate.
Today my traction control light started flashing when I hit 40 / 50 mph goes off when I slow down. While the light is flashing the engine pulses / reduces power then increases. Not sure if I felt some wobble on the near side. I have jacked all 4 wheels up and checked for bearing and ball joint play and there isn't any that I can feel!

Checked codes and all there was P0105 boost pressure not plausible I have cleaned the map sensor but this has nothing to do with traction control, does it??

Could it be one of the speed sensors in the bearing? If so how do I know which one is not giving the correct pulses?

Many thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
Traction control/ABS codes will be in the ABS ecu . Opcom would be best to check in that section. P0105 code is in the engine ecu which is a totally different place.
It could be a failing hub jamming causing the light you need to read the codes before throwing darts at it with parts. Another thing is the abs ecu itself can have problems also there's the breaks in the wiring looms normally in the front wheel arches (known fault) due to the twist and turns (also ware and tare due to age) it takes from the ecu to the small loom in the wheel arch. There all easily replaced with new wire (i've done this myself as well as swapping the abs ecu over)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,
no codes anywhere else only one in the engine ecu! I would assume if it was just wiring it would happen at random times not at a certain speed. My worry is that I will have to buy 2 new front bearing hubs because I won't be able to track which one it is as I say I can't feel any play either side.

·
Premium Member
7,262 Posts
check the tyre sizes , not uncommon to have an incorrect tyre cause this exact problem & usually at this kind of speed as the wheel with the smaller tyre spins faster , the TC sees this as wheelspin then reduces power to the engine to correct the wheelspin , in this case there are usually no faults stored as the ABS / TC doesn't see a fault as such .

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeh checked the tyre sizes. It weird car was fine but been parked up for a couple of days, festive drinks lol but I do 500 mile a week and she has been OK until today!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I see there is a view on opcom for the 4 speed sensors if I plug the lappy in tomorrow and record the data from each wheel at different speeds.

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
That would be a great idea you must also take into account the speed difference when turning and pulling off but that's only 2/3mph. If it was the passengers side hub you would have speedo problems (incorrect speed and needle jumping)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That would be a great idea you must also take into account the speed difference when turning and pulling off but that's only 2/3mph. If it was the passengers side hub you would have speedo problems (incorrect speed and needle jumping)
Did not think of that I have not notice any issues with the speedo, and though it was the front nearside, so maybe not... Will see what opcom says in the morning thanks again!

Reactions: loffty01

·
Well-Known User.
4,282 Posts
Today my traction control light started flashing when I hit 40 / 50 mph goes off when I slow down. While the light is flashing the engine pulses / reduces power then increases. Not sure if I felt some wobble on the near side....
Does it happen whenever you go above 40?
Could the wobble of been wheel spin?
Was it icy where you are?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Rich yes about 45 50 it starts but if I slow down it stops! Hope that there was no ice on the m54 lol tried on a couple of roads same result bud

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
I'd say it's a failing hub bearing as at that speed the power steering response will decrease due to the speed to make it less helpful like when parking . With this happening you will get more feed back throw the steering wheel. I might have got the speedo feed wrong as it's been a while since I sorted mind

·
Well-Known User.
4,282 Posts
Hi Rich...
Hi Mate,
never realized it was you, forgot you 'aint a Vectra driver no more!

A drive with opcom connected should show which wheel is causing tc to operate, maybe worth checking tyre pressures too...
Clutch aint slipping is it, just wondering about the p0105?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Checked all tyre sizes and pressures and clutch was changed a few months ago full luk kit. P0105 boost pressure not sure but cleared it and cleaned the map sensor. See what happens in the morning

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I have been out this morning and no issues 40 / 50 mph though there seems to be a small difference in the speeds FRONTRIGHT but is that front right as you stand in front of the car or when you sit in it??? The ABS and Traction control lights stayed on when i went into the abs tc section of opcom but went off when i finished.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
They are stated as if you are sat in the drivers seat unless otherwise wise stated.
When on opcom and in the tc/abs section lights will be on and go off when you leave the section unless the fault codes are still there (can't be removed)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Two front bearings and sensors changed and its still the same.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Can I disable the traction control with opcom? Does tc read the rear wheels as well? Gonna start chasing wires tomorrow

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
Tc/ABS reads all 4 wheels. I don't think it can be disabled. The front wiring loom is easy to trace in the engine bay. Small looms in the front wheel arches
Passangers side up and twist throw into the engine bay joining into the loom at the far side of the battery to the abs ecu/pump.
Drivers side up and twist throw into the engine bay down towards the front joining the loom at runs across the bumper reinforcement behind the battery then joins the loom at the far side of the battery then to abs ecu/pump.
As from the rear there is a separate loom that's fitted to the rear beam unsure where it runs or joins the rest. (Only replaced the front abs wiring loom wires)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the pointers lofty01 will give it ago in the morning all the front wires in the arches look in good condition

Reactions: loffty01

·
Banned
1,409 Posts
Yeh checked the tyre sizes. It weird car was fine but been parked up for a couple of days, festive drinks lol but I do 500 mile a week and she has been OK until today!
Lot of ice about. Maybe it's not your car or you... Maybe the car just sensing slip on the wheels.. my Kia does it and I can feel the car losing grip in winter.. even when going in a straight line at 40mph

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.