Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found the two problems that I had with noisy suspension. The front creaking noise is the front wishbone on the N/S (rear bush) but im going to replace the whole wishbone both sides. The rear creaking noise on the O/S was the spring in the end after ages of trying to find out what it was! I have been given prices of £80 for two rear springs and about £65-70 for front wishbones (new parts, non VX) from my local parts supplier. Do these seem ok? Any one changed rear springs before what sort of job is it? Im going to do it myself.:mmmm

·
Registered
7 Posts
i dont think it is rocket sience because my 17 year old brother did the springs on my step dads omega in no time at all. he had sring compressors etc tho.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can borrow spring compressors which may make it easier. The haynes manual says to lower the final drive down to get the springs out. This seems a bit excessive has anyone done them before? I dont want to start the job if its going to be a big pain!

·
Whatever!!!!!!
6,482 Posts
LOL
Just get a big bar in and prize the lower arms down ;)
As for the wishbones, they are self explanatory :up:

·
Whatever!!!!!!
6,482 Posts
Yes the wishbones sound ok, but the rear springs sound a tad expensive,,,,

·
VXons resident Priest
3,965 Posts
Rear springs are dead easy, just jack the back of the car up, unbolt the bottom of the shock absorbers and lever the arms down. The springs pretty much fall out.
I,ve never done front wishbone on a Meega before, but if they're anything like other cars they'll be pretty straightforward. Plus of course there are no drive shafts to get in the way.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the help, hope it all goes ok il get few more quotes for the springs, ebay wishbones look well cheap so il get them!

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
out of interest, would these be compatible with an elite model and its' self-levelling xenon headlights and rear suspension, or would it cause trouble?

I'm guessing that the levelling is done on the difference between in height the front and back and therefore it wouldn't be a problem?

·
Omega Tank Commander
7,722 Posts
The leveling is done by the shocks.

You would need to lower the fronts to to get it 'level' again or you will be driving around with the cars nose in the air.

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
ah ... so if I did both (front and back) on mine it'd work? Hmmm ... perhaps that will help with the handling. Doubt it'll be as good as a MV6 though :mmmm

·
Banned
221 Posts
£40/spring, sounds right ....... had to replace mine for MOT about 3 weeks ago. Will take about 1 hour, depending how easily the bottom shocker bolt comes off. Mine seemed like it had been welded on. Luckily I had an impact wrench on hand. Just take the whell off and have a look, its pretty self explanitory form there. Just remember to place a trolley jack and a piece of wood under the disc / drum to take the weight when you take the lower bolt out.
Good luck.
Ross

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the replys I have just brought the wishbones and lowering springs off ebay might not have time to fit them for few weeks but once I do I will post some pics of before after and let you know what there like on the road etc. Can't wait im well excited!!! I just need a nice twin exhaust nothing noisy just to look good then the Omega is just how I want it!!! (The way they should have come from the factory lol),

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Replaced wishbones what a nightmare bl**dy things, need to get tracking done now, and fit springs when they come!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts