Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I’ve got a 17 plate Insignia with the tyre pressure monitoring system. It’s only done 12k miles, so I’m still on the original tyres. When the time comes to replace the tyres, does anyone know if the system has a replacable valve in the rim, or is the rim unit heavy duty enough to last for years before needing to be replaced?

Thanks for reading.

·
Premium Member
13,630 Posts
Does your wheels have TPM or is it done via the ABS, you can usually tell as the valve is made from metal opposed to rubber, if it does have them then they do 'wear' out as they have a battery inside that will degrade over time, just make sure the tyre shop dont remove them when fitting a new tyre to fit a 'new' rubber valve which i have seen done on more then 1 occasion.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does your wheels have TPM or is it done via the ABS, you can usually tell as the valve is made from metal opposed to rubber, if it does have them then they do 'wear' out as they have a battery inside that will degrade over time, just make sure the tyre shop dont remove them when fitting a new tyre to fit a 'new' rubber valve which i have seen done on more then 1 occasion.
Yes it’s the TPM system with the chunky metal valve on each rim. I understand some versions have a fixed internal valve that can’t be changed and some some have a removable valve that can be changed when the tyres are changed?

Any idea the lifespan of the battery and the fixed internal valve?

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
As long as your tyre fitter knows what he's doing there should be no problem replacing the tyre and TPMS still working. The batteries in the units last approximately 5years but mine are still going strong, 64 plate

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That’s a relief! Will the internal valve last that long too before it needs replacing?

·
Premium Member
13,459 Posts
You can replace the TPMS valves too, without the sensors. The sensors sit on the inside of the alloy wheel. I bought a full set of original sensors & valves for less than £60 off ebay when I had my previous Astra K, as I was putting new alloys onto it. Then took them to my local independent tyre garage with the 4 new tyres to put onto my alloys. They charged me £10 a wheel to put the tyres & sensors on. They'd originally quoted me £150 to supply & fit 4 new TPMS sensors & tyres, which is still cheaper than vaux. I used a relearn to to prog them in myself to the cars receiver. Easy job, in your handbook if this is required. Relearn tool cost me around £20.
I'm lucky with my current 2014 J, does not have them, just the standard car valves. Mine must be the last year, I think without them fitted from standard.

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
I have bought my own tyres and had them fitted as part of my service package by local vauxhall dealer each time and they have never charged me extra for replacement of valves

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. Will the original valve inside the rim unit last as long as the battery without a problem, ie 5 or 6 years before it needs replacing?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have bought my own tyres and had them fitted as part of my service package by local vauxhall dealer each time and they have never charged me extra for replacement of valves
Did the dealer change the internal valve when they changed the tyres, or did they leave the original in place?

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
Did the dealer change the internal valve when they changed the tyres, or did they leave the original in place?
to be honest I couldn't tell you but I can try and find out

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
If you're worried about replacing the valves they are not expensive

or

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you're worried about replacing the valves they are not expensive

or
That’s very useful - thanks very much. Being a very late Mk.1 model Insignia, by the looks of it, I’ve got the Mk2 valves, but I will find out when the tyres are changed!

Will fitting new valves automatically be recognised by the TPMS system?

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
The TPMS doesn't recognise the valves it recognises the pressure in the sensors

·
Premium Member
13,459 Posts
Would I be right that a 2017 model (see pic below) would have TPMS with replaceable inner valves, as opposed to the version that has fixed valves and the whole unit has to be changed?

View attachment 90481
From memory & my previous Astra K was on a 2016 plate, the valves cost me around a tenner each to replace. You only need to replace them if they're leaking. The valves are separate from the sensors, the sensors are stuck on the inside of the alloy wheel, which attach onto the valve. The valves can be replaced without the sensors.
These are what mine looked like off the car, valve & sensors, my valve stalks were plastic too-
sensors.jpg

·
Don't be afraid it's only nuts and bolts
657 Posts
There not stuck on to the alloy wheel there on the end of the stem with a torx bolt,I’m a tyre fitter and deal with sensors everyday all we do is remove the core let the air out and put the original core back in,never had a problem with the cores ,99% of valve leaks are due to paint corroding around the base of the stem which is usually rubber and hard to spot between normal non sensors ,as a rule we take the tyre off with the stem at twelve and put back on with it a 4 so we can’t damage the stem,any decent tyre place should have a machine that you hold next to the sensor and it with tell you-age,power left,pressure also calibration as you can copy the sensor and recalibrate a new one as accidents happen and people destroy there rims and need a new wheel and sensor,personally I wouldn’t have them there a headache

It’s only nuts and bolts,don’t be afraid!!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
There not stuck on to the alloy wheel there on the end of the stem with a torx bolt,I’m a tyre fitter and deal with sensors everyday all we do is remove the core let the air out and put the original core back in,never had a problem with the cores ,99% of valve leaks are due to paint corroding around the base of the stem which is usually rubber and hard to spot between normal non sensors ,as a rule we take the tyre off with the stem at twelve and put back on with it a 4 so we can’t damage the stem,any decent tyre place should have a machine that you hold next to the sensor and it with tell you-age,power left,pressure also calibration as you can copy the sensor and recalibrate a new one as accidents happen and people destroy there rims and need a new wheel and sensor,personally I wouldn’t have them there a headache

It’s only nuts and bolts,don’t be afraid!!
That’s great - Thanks very much.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts