Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, have a problem with my Renault trafic, 59 reg, 1.9 diesel manual.
basically I was driving along yesterday and it completely cut out, managed to roll it in to a safe area, called RAC after waiting 8 hours they finally made it to me. Now what happens is I have power, all the headlights work, central locking and interior lights bit when I turn the key there is nothing on the ignition, no lights or radio. RAC tested the battery which was fine, he put the multi meter on the engine fuse box and was only reading 6-8 volts, so somewhere between the battery and the engine fuse box I’m losing power which is causing me to have no ignition. Has anyone experienced this?

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
Did they check the big main fuses next to the battery? I've had one partially blow giving low volts.

There's a big earth strap on the gearbox which rots through and causes failure to start. Cheap to replace and worth checking.

You say 1.9 but a 2009 will be a 2.0.

The 1.9 has a blue plug under the fusebox that is famous for electrical gremilns.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did they check the big main fuses next to the battery? I've had one partially blow giving low volts.

There's a big earth strap on the gearbox which rots through and causes failure to start. Cheap to replace and worth checking.

The 1.9 has a blue plug under the fusebox that is famous for electrical gremilns.
Hi thanks for your reply. Yes you’re right it’s a 2.0. The patrol checked all the fuses next to the ecu but the battery is under the passenger footwell and i can’t see any fuses there? (I’m no mechanic and have very basic skills) but I will double check them all, and I’ll check that other cable, thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
On top of the positive terminal there will be a plastic box you can open. Inside there will be some big link fuses. It's not always possible to see if they are blown especially if partially gone.

If they are dirty clean and replace.

If you have a multimeter you can test them in situ.

If getting new ones make sure they are the same amps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Hi thanks for your reply. Yes you’re right it’s a 2.0. The patrol checked all the fuses next to the ecu but the battery is under the passenger footwell and i can’t see any fuses there? (I’m no mechanic and have very basic skills) but I will double check them all, and I’ll check that other cable, thanks for your help.
On top of the positive terminal there will be a plastic box you can open. Inside there will be some big link fuses. It's not always possible to see if they are blown especially if partially gone.

If they are dirty clean and replace.

If you have a multimeter you can test them in situ.

If getting new ones make sure they are the same amps.
Brill thanks for your help. I’ll check them as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Turns out it was the ignition switch. A simple little word change behind the key barrel, £15 quid and it was done :)))

1 - 6 of 6 Posts