Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, just bought my wife a new car. I am having a hard time figuring out how to remove the oem radio. It has 4 small holes in the front of it and none of the dash or cover plate around it seems like it wants to budge. I dont see the dash coming off to easily, I tried the old 2 knife methond which works on most other car sterios ive used but it seems something is in the way of letting me get in contact with the cage

if anyone has any detailed steps or pics for the removal for a 98 omega that would be great

I have read the removal of the oem radio thread on here but it did not help one bit

thakns

evan

·
Qualified lego bricklayer
9,180 Posts
Get an old wire coathanger and bend into the following shape. Poke down the holes, and then pull the stereo out.

Alternately pop down to Halfords / AN Other car accessory place, and you can buy them for a couple of quid.

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
there will probably be four grub screws in the holes. remove these with an allen key. next i got four allen keys that will just fit into the holes and levered the clips that secure the stereo in and the radio should come forward. i found one side came out a bit and then the other did and then eventuall it all came out

·
Banned
175 Posts
Hi,
there are special tools available but you can easily mange with 4 nails or 2 sections of metal coat hanger bent into a U and inserted into the holes either side of the unit.

Each of the 4 holes MUST have a metal rod ( as discussed above ) inserted until it lifts each internal, invisible latch. The unit will then slide straight out
Honest!

Cheers Darryl

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wow such a fast response, thanks guys i will try the hole method now with a coat hanger

so my question is how with an aftermarket radio stay in, will the cage just hold it in?

what grub screws i put a small allen key in but didnt feel anything,

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
there should be one in each hole, guess its to slow down removal if its being nicked. you will need to remove the old cage and fit the new one that comes with the new stereo. i think there is a bolt securing the cage right at the back. my connecters were a pain to remove from the original cage

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i tried with teh hole thing, i guess some are missing becuase it seems on rod went really far in and the others didnt
i might need to get the right sized allen key
ill try tommorow we have to go out soon thanks guys

anymoer help would be greatly appreciated

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
if the rod goes really far in there are no screws in it so it will be just ready to remove. the securing clips are only about 2-3cms in the holes. push into the holes with an allen key or similar and lever in towards the radio to move the clips out of the way.30 seconds and the radio is out

L

·
0 Posts
No.2 sized allen key to remove grub screws.

Once they are out, I would recommend using the proper tools but allen keys or coat hanger will work.

Remember to push them slightly outwards as you pull and the unit should come out.

Then you have the cage to remove!
There is a bolt securing the cage to the body in the centre. Look in and you will see it.
Once that is removed you will need to bend the cage slightly at the top and bottom to get the clips to release.

Be VERY careful when removing the cage as the ISO connector and the aerial are attached to the back of the cage.

You will almost certainly need an adaptor for the aerial. Couple of quid from a motor spares.

When you come to fit your replacement unit you need to switch the red and yellow wires on the headunit to keep a continuous live feed for the memory.
These connectors are pull apart bullet type so it is very simple.
DO NOT switch the wiring in the car (very very bad!).

Slide cage in and make sure wires are all clear.
Push out the lugs at top, bottom and each side to secure the cage.

Plug in ISO connector, will only fit one way. Don't worry about the spare block, that is for Vx display.

Fit is "snug". Only free space is down and left. It will take some doing to fit in, and not trap wires (keep checking) but it will click into place.

Switch on, and be impressed with how good the Omega speakers are. :)

By the way, which model is it?

Oh and welcome to the site. :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
laidback66 said:
When you come to fit your replacement unit you need to switch the red and yellow wires on the headunit to keep a continuous live feed for the memory.
:bust: Just be doubly sure.....got my omega today, dropped a JVC CD in it and the wires I had to swap were both red....

Have a look at the wiring diagram on your new system then trace which wires are which.

Have to agree with laidback, the speakers are awesome:cool:

L

·
0 Posts
Speakers get even better if you amp (4x30w rms is more than enough) them and add a sub! :)

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Words of wisdom above.

The fixing that holds the metal cage may be a screw, bolt or plastic rivet.

The OEM unit can be very stiff to remove. Gently lever each side, until it moves.

Make really sure that no wires are trapped when you push the new unit in.

Disconnect battery before starting work.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts