Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My Astra Mk4 has the comedy locking nuts from Vauxhall that simply have 3 circles that fit into the nut.

The problem I have it I want to remove my wheels to paint my calipers red but on one wheel the nut won't come lose for anything.

I have sprayed it with WD40 and used various wrenches.

The problem I have now is that not only can I not remove the wheel (which would be a comedy if I get a puncture) but the nut head has started to come out of shape where I have tried so much.

Any suggestions what I can do to get the damn nut off???

Thanks.

Gavin.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
you can get tools to remove locking wheel nuts from places like halfords,

they basically drill into the nut tho so would be hard work, or some people weld a nut to the end, or hammer on a socket slightly to small for it, then use that to losten it,

·
Trisexual
2,149 Posts
You can get a locking nut removal kit from Halfords. Don't put those ones back on though, get a new set from ebay.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lol, I had already decided not to put these ones back on. Gonna get some TSW ones or something like that.

Regarding the locking nut removal kit - could I potentially damage any other parts of the hub/brakes with it or are they safe?

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
i would say they are safe but just follow the instructions on the packet correctly , or you could just go to kwikfit or something to see how much they might charge to do it, they prob do it every day so would take 2 mins,

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think that is a wise idea. I will pop down to my local tyre seller this afternoon and see if he can remove it for me, he is normally very good.

I will report back with how I got on!

·
Qualified lego bricklayer
9,180 Posts
Did you use the standard wheel brace?

If so, that's more than likely why the bolt ended up damaged. Best to use a star brace with these locking wheel bolts as you lever at 90 degrees to the bolt, and not 70 degrees.

What I did to remove one of these stubborn bolts was to park up close to a solid object (such as a gate post or brick wall). Fit locking key on bolt, and then attach star brace. I then got a hydraulic bottle jack and placed between the solid object and star brace and then rammed the brace in tight. Finally proceeded to undo the locking bolt.

The bottle jack kept the brace tight and secure to the locking key so as not to be able to slip off where the holes in the bolt had rounded out of shape.

Once removed, I ordered a replacement locking wheel bolt from Vauxhall. You'll need the key number to do this though.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well lesson to be learnt here!

Just got back from the tyre place. They removed the 2 crappy nuts in seconds. They have replaced all 4 with a set from TSW and thw whole experience only cost me £20.

Its always good to try things yourself but when it takes the experts seconds, you have to credit them!

·
Premium Member
10,875 Posts
U can get special sockets that bite into the nut as u turn, completely destroying them but they come off... Had my suspension done after losing my nut key so the guy had to use one before he could do the job anyway! :lmao:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts