Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Roving about
Joined
·
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again, again, again!

When I removed the centre console from the LS, I noticed that the rubber 'bush' which sits around the gearstick shaft (inside the white plastic ring,if you know what I mean) was very worn & had popped out. I'd already noticed that the gearstick was very 'wobbly' (to use a technical term).

I undid the 4 hex bolts at each corner of the white plastic surround (where it bolts to the chasis), and popped the clip at the very bottom of the gearstick, but I can't figure out how to remove the unit. :rolleyes:

I'm hoping to be able to swap over the entire gearstick unit from the GL before it goes the journey.

Thanks in advance.

J_C.
 

·
8v Power!
Joined
·
10,748 Posts
I'm looking at doing this tomorrow. Will let you know how I get on.

You don't happen to have a spare hatch / tailgate do you? :D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,262 Posts
my mates will probably have a tailgate or 2 laid around , as long as they get your old 1 to put back on the banger racer they will do deals.
 

·
8v Power!
Joined
·
10,748 Posts
If it's flame red - should be able to arrange something :D
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
14,579 Posts
Easy.

All you need to do is pop that pin out the bottom, it unclips then slides out, then the stick pulls out upwards, the 4 hex bolts dont need touching
 

·
Roving about
Joined
·
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Envoy CDX said:
I'm looking at doing this tomorrow. Will let you know how I get on.

You don't happen to have a spare hatch / tailgate do you? :D
The one on the GL isn't bad, but it's white. Same as 'Cav TD gls' says, if you've got one I can stick back on the scrapper, then it should be ok. Arranged to get £30 from the scrappers for the GL, provided it's not stripped when I take it in, otherwise I get nowt :shame: .

Saw a few scrapped Cavs today, tailgates looked ok, but no red, I'm afraid!
 

·
Roving about
Joined
·
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Andy M said:
Easy.

All you need to do is pop that pin out the bottom, it unclips then slides out, then the stick pulls out upwards, the 4 hex bolts dont need touching
Hi Andy, thanks for that. I thought it must be an easy job, but I didn't want to force anything. Good that I don't have to remove the bolts (again). I'll have a go at it tomorrow. J_C.
 

·
8v Power!
Joined
·
10,748 Posts
Jolly_Cavalier said:
The one on the GL isn't bad, but it's white. Same as 'Cav TD gls' says, if you've got one I can stick back on the scrapper, then it should be ok. Arranged to get £30 from the scrappers for the GL, provided it's not stripped when I take it in, otherwise I get nowt :shame: .

Saw a few scrapped Cavs today, tailgates looked ok, but no red, I'm afraid!
Swapping them over shouldn't be too difficult should it?

I've pretty much stripped the envoy - will post pics of it when I get finished :(
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
31,460 Posts
Andy M said:
Easy.

All you need to do is pop that pin out the bottom, it unclips then slides out, then the stick pulls out upwards, the 4 hex bolts dont need touching
You can see the pin/clip in the gear lever on the left at the bottom..




The one on the right has it removed.
 

·
Roving about
Joined
·
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
C3MKY said:
You can see the pin/clip in the gear lever on the left at the bottom..




The one on the right has it removed.

Nice pic! Illustrates Andy's explanation perfectly! I'd pulled the clip back, but not removed the pin! Tesco's now, then gearstick change!

Apart from it being very wobbly, someone has twisted the actual knob itself, so it spins round quite easily. These ones are knurled under the knob, rather than screw threaded, right? Maybe the previous owner has attempted to fit a new knob, & decided that he couldn't.

Thanks for the pic!

Going to buy Haynes tomorrow! J_C.
 

·
8v Power!
Joined
·
10,748 Posts
Jolly_Cavalier said:
Nice pic! Illustrates Andy's explanation perfectly! I'd pulled the clip back, but not removed the pin! Tesco's now, then gearstick change!

Apart from it being very wobbly, someone has twisted the actual knob itself, so it spins round quite easily. These ones are knurled under the knob, rather than screw threaded, right? Maybe the previous owner has attempted to fit a new knob, & decided that he couldn't.

Thanks for the pic!

Going to buy Haynes tomorrow! J_C.
PM me, I have one here.....
 

·
Roving about
Joined
·
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Envoy CDX said:
PM me, I have one here.....
Aww! I bought a second hand one off Amazon Marketplace just after I made the post:shame: . £5 and postage, which is better than £16 new anyway! Thanks for that though! Much appreciated:Cool2: J_C
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
31,460 Posts
These ones are knurled under the knob, rather than screw threaded, right?
Correct. The knob has a hard plastic sleeve inserted, this is then push hard onto the metal stick which has a grip type texture to the metal. Sometimes when removing an old gear knob, you maybe faced with just the hard plastic sleeve still remaining on the metal stivk. You will have to remove this before fitting a replacement know. (a new Vauxhall knob anyway)
 

·
Roving about
Joined
·
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
C3MKY said:
Correct. The knob has a hard plastic sleeve inserted, this is then push hard onto the metal stick which has a grip type texture to the metal. Sometimes when removing an old gear knob, you maybe faced with just the hard plastic sleeve still remaining on the metal stivk. You will have to remove this before fitting a replacement know. (a new Vauxhall knob anyway)
Swapped over the gearsticks.... then swapped them back again. No differrence in the wobble. I think it's because the GL has a metal ring around the gearstick bush, and the LS has a plastic one. I'd put a new gaiter on te LhS gearstick, so rather than have to change that over, I just put everything back as it was. Total waste of time really, but it was nice and warm today:Cool2: .

Besides, if I manage to get the adjustable steering column on the LS, the wobbly gearstick won't be so annoying.

Half way there with the steering column! Got the old one off the GL, anyway:Cool2: . The 'mushroom bolt' was a bit of a *****, and she shall be replaced with a hex bolt when I come to refit!

Thanks for the helpful info. J_C.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top