Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*** Warning – for Boffins and Anoraks Only (and also for the over-40) ***

I phones-up Redex Customer Relations today, and spoke to chap called Andrew. He was very helpful, perhaps because I told him I was going to post the highlights of our conversation on VxON (I kid you not), so here is what I have learned today:

1. The chap swore by Redex – he said that if you use Redex regularly you are guaranteed to have the injectors ‘spotlessly clean’.

2. The new product range from Redex is different to the old one. The instructions for the old product were one full bottle as a one-off to start with, then 50ml per 50 litre of petrol with each tank-full afterwards. The new product is applied differently, there is a separate formula for the ‘one-off’ treatment, and a different one for the on-going usage. Also, the new product should be used in concentration of 125ml per 50 litre of petrol (since the main ingredient is naphtha, which is used as carrier, I assume they simply diluted the mixture… though the chap from Redex obviously said nothing of the sort).

3. Of the two petrol products, the red labelled one which is for carburettor petrol engines is the most commonly found in service stations. The green-labelled product, which is for injector systems, is a little more difficult to get hold off for some reason, but can ordered online. The main difference, according to the chap from Redex, is that the green labelled product is formulated to withstand the higher temperatures and pressures that exist in an injector system and will clean the injectors’ nozzles more efficiently then the red labelled product. But you can use the carburettor red-labelled product in an injected engine, it will still do its cleaning bit though not as effective as the green labelled one.

4. I asked whether there was any point of using Redex, or any other fuel additive for that matter, with high-performance fuels such as Shell Optimax or BP Ultimate – both boast their ability to clean the engine. The chap was very diplomatic about this. He said that he can’t comment on other makers’ products, and that he does not know what kind of detergents Shell and BP use in their high-performance fuels and whether these detergents were as effective as Redex. But I did manage to get him to agree (or rather, to not deny…) the following reasoning – if the additive used by Shell and BT were similar to or as effective as those found in Redex, then there would be no point in adding Redex to these high-performance fuels.

5. I have been using Redex in each tank-full on both me previous and current Omega (7 years and 80k in total), and I think it’s good even though I can’t prove it – other then by taking the heads off and checking the valve seats. I plan to do the spark plugs next, maybe with a bit of luck I will be able to see the valves through the plug holes as I used to do on the OHC Astra engine – but to be honest I doubt it…

6. To be fair, there is an entire school of though saying you should NOT be using the fuel additives the likes of Redex - but if this thread is of interest to anyone then I can elaborate further...

Now I am sure that at this point I have lost the few readers that actually opened this thread, so thank you to my last loyal reader Auto Addict for sticking with me :)

·
VXON SirTalkalot
4,635 Posts
you will make a good secretary ;)

some helpful knowledge ty

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well it seems that Redex are part of Holts, which in turn are part of Honywell. Honeywell (yes, the computer company from the 70') also owns the following brands: Autolite, Fram, Prestone, Jurid, and Bendix. It's a small world...

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
I use it on all my cars - and when my saab blew up the other month( no not a V6) - on removal of the cylinder head the pistons / combustion chamber was something to be proud of.
Unfortunetly - redex don'tdo an oil treatment - as the pick up pipe was blocked with sludge ( a saab engine common problem) wish i had bought a V6 one instead :grrr all sorted now - just got to sell the tempary replacement a V6 vectra
markjay said:
Thanks Snail! And by popular demand, the other side of the argument:

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=22170

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Geffd said:
I use it on all my cars - and when my saab blew up the other month( no not a V6) - on removal of the cylinder head the pistons / combustion chamber was something to be proud of.
Unfortunetly - redex don'tdo an oil treatment - as the pick up pipe was blocked with sludge ( a saab engine common problem) wish i had bought a V6 one instead :grrr all sorted now - just got to sell the tempary replacement a V6 vectra
Ah! A fellow Redexian! :bananasmi

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
Oh Yes - I know you mentioned petrol and its additives, but do you remember back in the eighties and all the problems they had - not sure if it was shell.
if i remember correctly the tanker drivers were adding the additive - and they put too much in and it screwed up lots of cars - vauxhalls were one of its victims.

markjay said:
Ah! A fellow Redexian! :bananasmi

·
VXON SirTalkalot
4,635 Posts
Geffd said:
Oh Yes - I know you mentioned petrol and its additives, but do you remember back in the eighties and all the problems they had - not sure if it was shell.
if i remember correctly the tanker drivers were adding the additive - and they put too much in and it screwed up lots of cars - vauxhalls were one of its victims.
i have to admit i don`t use anything, and perhaps i should, now and again can`t be a bad thing, from what you mention could that not be down to misuse?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Geffd said:
Yep spot on Geff it was Shell it caused allsorts of problems with burnt valves and seats especially Vauxhalls:eh

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is from an older post:

cipher:
Can anyone remember Shells last attempt at a High Octane Unleaded, that wrecked a few engines...?

Tony H :
Yep remember that, vauxhall valves in peticular didn't like the stuff, caused burning of the valves and seats

Marks DTM Calib:
That would have been due to the timing.......not the valves

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
Yep it was burning the valve seats oops must have cost them a bit. :cry:
markjay said:
This is from an older post:

cipher:
Can anyone remember Shells last attempt at a High Octane Unleaded, that wrecked a few engines...?

Tony H :
Yep remember that, vauxhall valves in peticular didn't like the stuff, caused burning of the valves and seats

Marks DTM Calib:
That would have been due to the timing.......not the valves

·
Premium Member
747 Posts
I would suggest that you use the redex or any other fuel detergents just before your oil change as some times fuel system cleaning agents react with the engine's lub oil and depending on chemical structure it can kill the oil detergent. Thats why i tend to use redex just before my oilchanges.

M

·
0 Posts
Injector cleaners are essential - with my rolled MV6 all it took was a week on gas and it had difficulty starting. I shoved some Optimax through and after a couple of petrol runs ran fine.

I have redexed my 2.6 and will be gassing it over the next 3 weekends

·
Registered
20 Posts
I used to use Redex until I noticed how fast my exhausts rotted...

If you do use it; don't use too much - this stuff is "too good" at its job.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Jazz Dalek said:
I used to use Redex until I noticed how fast my exhausts rotted...

If you do use it; don't use too much - this stuff is "too good" at its job.
Used it on my previous Omega for 3 years, and just before I sold it developed a leak from the exhaust through a small crack in the back box. Been using it on my current Omega since 2001, MOT due in June so will let you know if the exhaust passed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts