Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - first post so a big hello to all of you!

Had my N reg 2.5 24v V6 CDX for about a month now. Got 83000 on the clock. Drives very well. Got cambelt changed 4 years (11000 miles ago) according to service book scribbles. Gave it 4 new tyres and had the standard rocker cover problem fixed (both sides). Quite a bit more expensive than I suspected and I have now - because of this excellent forum :mmmm begun to wonder if they remembered to clear the breather while they had the whole thing apart. Is it standard to do so?

In total I have now spend quite a lot on car + fixing it up. All I now really need is a new windscreen as it is very scratched - especially when the sun is low. For now I just use some good sunglasses that cancel out the "stars and stribes" and the reflection from the dash board. That and a little ticking sounds only there when idling.

Well and - the misting up! Misting up in all but air con setting. I was under the glove box today (God they are small in the omega!) and stuck my finger - literally - into the fan before realising that is where the ricirculation motorised flap is. I can hear something moving when I press the ricirc button, but the big flap (approx 6 x 20 right?) dont move a bit. I can close it (move it to the horisontal plane) and it also just stays put there when I exercise the recirc button. Is this the dreaded motor failure of the flap?

If it is, can anyone tell me if it is a big job. Something a PC technician can do :p or a vx shop job? Or will it just work great (read: much cheaper) to keep the recirc flap horisontally and forget it?

I found something resembling a coaxial cable with an tv arial like "female" plug on the end when I looked under the glove compartment. Any idea if that is standard or some phone equipment leftover?

Best to all of you

Bo - coming from a Vauxhall Cavalier 1.6 I must say that all the costly petrol is worth. Man it is a good drive and great to be able to overtake with a big wruuumm...

·
Registered
27 Posts
While tinkering with mine today ( reassembling the air con) i broke the little spigots that the arm from the vacuum actuator hooks on to. I drilled out the pivoting arm and fitted a bolt for the actuator to hook on to, a nylock nut stops the arm popping off. you have to keep the bolt as short as poss or it fouls on the sound deadening.
You can watch the arm move up and down as you operate the switch, maybe yours has broke free from the flap. ~It is on the left side of the blower motor housing.

As an aside... does anyone know if it's normal the the recirc cancels in screen demist mode (manual air con). I might not have got all the vacuum tubes back right. Also, is it the heater bypass valve that is operated by vacuum as soon as you move either temp knob from cold?
Rich

·
Registered
351 Posts
Bo, at 4 years the timing belt and idlers are due for replacement again. Vauxhall did extend the time but got failures so went back to the 4 years/40,00 miles (someone will correct me if I've got that wrong but I think it's correct).

As Rich says it's likely to be the servo arm come off the flap if it stays in the position you have put it, with the arm connected it has a spring to return it. It did come off in my '97 CD but nothing was broken, I wasn't confident that it would stay on but it has done for the last 6 years. You have a problem with the flap but it's worth knowing that the pollen filter does block and can cause these symptoms. Even when you get the flap working and make sure the pollen filter is clear it will still mist up in the winter if you turn the aircon off after using it to demist.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice

Thank you for your advice. I'll have a look at the pollen filter and motor arm one of these days. Anyone know if I can find pictures of how to remove clove compartment anywhere on the forum?

Just been out in Snibston and Calke and could clearly feel the difference in air quality after closing the recirc flap.

Bo

1 - 4 of 4 Posts