Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a bit of advice.

Had a leaking rocker cover which has now been sorted, unfortunately i'm still using far too much oil. When accelerating hard as it passes 4000rpm it leaves a huge cloud of smoke behind me.

Have been told its probably the piston rings although a compression test hasn't yet been done.

Anyway which is the best idea, replace the piston rings and everything else that needs to be done with it or replace the engine?

Any ideas of cost would also be greatly appreciated (i've seen z22se engines with under 50000 on the clock going for around £750 on ebay).

Many Thanks

Anthony

·
Well-Known User.
4,290 Posts
If you get a second hand engine, who knows what condition it will be in? It may only last a few thousand miles....
Rebuilding yours should give you an engine that is as good as new.....

·
Respect mah authoritah!
4,994 Posts
when you say your using oil a assume its not through leaks?

you really need to do a compression test on the car fella. now did this fault happen did it happen quickly or gradually get worse over a period of time. It could be something as simple as the headgasket has failed and the engine is drawing in oil and burning it off.

when you do a compression test as you remove the sparks, check what colour they are. if one looks oilly then theres the offending cylinder.

·
Premium Member
13,088 Posts
the £800 quid quoted would i imagine be if you rebuilt it yourself,most recon engine place's will want around£1200 for a rebuilt engine,that's what i was quoted on an ecotec calibra

total strip down regrind crank,new shell's new oil pump,possibly new piston's & ring's and a slight rebore or hone of the cylinders,valves out recut seats new stem seals,you up for doing this yourself?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It was off the road for a couple of months with a couple of problems and i was working away.

When i got it back i was loosing a lot of oil (1 litre in 100 miles) but found a bolt had sheered off on rocker cover. That leak fixed but still loosing oil and definate smoke out of the back when pushed.

Lost no water in 6 months so didn't think it would be head gasket.

A friend at vauxhall suggested oil in throttle body or piston rings, throttle body is clean and so are breathers.

Had another friend take a look and he said piston rings too.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My sisters fella is a mechanic and he will be doing the work as i'm off to germany with work so will leave car with him.

He wanted to change the engine instead i think so it would be a case of persuading him to rebuild it if i went down that route.

Any ideas on how easy it would be to shift the current engine and for how much (done just shy of 57000 miles) if the engine was changed?

·
Premium Member
13,088 Posts
if its loseing oil it could just need the valve stem seal's doing ,not many people would be intrested in an engine that's burning oil.if it was mine id rebuild it then you know it's right.,don't buy a second hand engine that you know bugger all about it could be worse than the one you already have,then it's going to cost even more than rebuilding your own would have:Cool2:

·
Premium Member
6,377 Posts
try and get some forte engine flush,there is a possibility that the rings are gummed up,once flushed with some fresh oil and filter get the engine nice and warm and give it a good hard run to clear to help clear the rings

you dont say how many miles the engine has done

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The engine has done just shy of 57000 and i believe the head gasket has been done previously as there is evidence that the head has been off before.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll try some engine flush in it and hopefully it will make some difference, and save me a bomb, was told it had been stood a while when i got it and then stood for longer while the timing chain and fuel pump were changed while i was away working.

·
Respect mah authoritah!
4,994 Posts
i find it hard to belive that at 57K the rings will be worn. my personal opinion is that it will be the head gasket. but you really could do with getting it pressure tested. to loose that amount of oil even leaking valve oil seals would not loose that much oil.

·
Premium Member
6,377 Posts
a common thing that can happen is if a car is stood for any lenght of time the rings can stick,the oil rings are more likely to stick than the main rings,if you are going to use a flush i have heard forte being a very good one for releasing rings,you need a very good quality flush not a cheap one,also use a quality oil like vauxhalls own.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well the car is going to go over to Germany tomorrow (with a fair few stops to keep the oil level up) not got much choice with this as i need to be there to start work on wednesday and i've got too much stuff to take to fly over.

Once i bring the car back we've decided to strip it down and rebuild the engine while i then fly back over to Germany so plenty of time to get everything done and then finally have the car sorted.

Thanks for all the advice.

Anthony

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.