Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
Has anyone ever done the rear trailing arm FRONT Bushes????????????

Mine have gone. The car decides to skip from side to side and is generally unstable on coming out of corners!
Any tips??

·
Registered
24 Posts
Did mine a couple of weeks ago (bushes cost me £9.50 each).

Didnt use special tools, just a couple of sockets, a longish peice of threaded bar and some good nuts. (cant post a drawing of setup :cry: ) but basically, you put a socket same size as bush (just a little smaller) on one side, thread bar through socket and bush, and put a larger socket on other side (big enough for bush to slide in to) then put nuts on both ends of bar and tighten up (will then draw bush into bigger socket) Note, you may need to persuade it to start moving with a hammer on the smaller socket end.

To insert new bush i removed the rubber boot on the end that the smaller socket is going to pull on (to prevent it knackering it up!!). reverse the setup so the sockets are on the other side, spray outer sleeve of bush with a little WD40, and start bush off with a gentle tap on socket. Once bush is lined up correctly tighten up the nuts again and it will pull the bush into the rear arm, once in correct place, replace the rubber boot (the runner boots are held on with a spring type clip at the rear and a rubber ring at the front, you can remove them carefully with a small bladed screwdriver, but dont peirce the boot, or its off to the spares shop again)

The threaded bar has to be long enough to go through both sockets, the width of the rear arm and the bush ( mine was about 12 inches long and i had to thread bar from front side to rear side, as no space to use otherwise).

Took me about 30 minutes a side.

Hope that helps.

John (AKA Fatboy_JT)

·
Registered
59 Posts
So Fatboy_jt- you used this home made press under the car ? (30 mins a side I reckon so!)
So all you had to do was jack up, remove road wheel, remove front trailing arm mount point (that goes in the recess under the rear sill) - then press out/in old/new bush, and rebolt mount?

Eh?
- you probebly guessed I have to do mine soon, and will make up a press like yours if it will save removing the other suspension components to remove the whole trail arm.
Thanks Sean

1 - 6 of 6 Posts