Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am about to do the conversion, any helpfull hints to help me? :)

·
8v Power!
10,748 Posts
buy a rivet punch and get a pair of helping hands to help with the motors.

·
Kind of a big deal......
6,540 Posts
Rivet GUN!

And rears are much easier than fronts, so you can do it alone no probs.

Make a mental note, or better still take a picture of how the door loom is routed before you change it over, and make sure all your connections on the floor loom are good:up:

Thats it, get stuck in! good luck!

·
8v Power!
10,748 Posts

·
8v Power!
10,748 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is it possible without? Im trying to save my money lol.

Plan is, to install the mechanism today and then wire it all up tomorrow :D

·
Kind of a big deal......
6,540 Posts
You need to drill out the old rivets holding the mechanisms in, and you need a rivet gun to re-rivet the new mechs in:up:

So no, you cant do it without. Some people use small nuts and bolts to put them in, but that is bad practise IMO as they will work loose.

·
Premium Member
12,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Halfords it is then, wonder how much it will be on trade :mmmm

So I'm after a rivet gun.... ant buy the wrong one or owt can I? :O

·
VxOn's Nissan Advocate
1,324 Posts
You need to drill out the old rivets holding the mechanisms in, and you need a rivet gun to re-rivet the new mechs in:up:

So no, you cant do it without. Some people use small nuts and bolts to put them in, but that is bad practise IMO as they will work loose.

you could always put a nylock nut, thread locker, or maybe a spring washer on the bolt that wold help stop it comming slack, instead of buying a rivet gun.

·
8v Power!
10,748 Posts
you could always put a nylock nut, thread locker, or maybe a spring washer on the bolt that wold help stop it comming slack, instead of buying a rivet gun.
Lot of work though really, and probably costs more than the rivet gun would.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
i done this convesion last week not to hard to do. i found it easier to make sure the motors was undone a little before riveting it in, the mechs was the easy part, routing the wires is the bit i found difficult. Watch the sill trim took mine off and it wont go back on properly, Just need the surrounds for the rear switches now

·
Premium Member
1,328 Posts
I might be doing this conversion on my Mams SRi, the mechs I haven't got a problem with, How easy are they to actually to wire up...

Cheers:Cool2:

·
Cavalier Turbo Replica
1,716 Posts
piece of cake....

3 wires are for central locking... they just splice into the existing loom

then theres a live. ground. window up. window down. window live. total closure. and child lock wire. thats only 8 wires you need to connect ;)

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
piece of cake....

3 wires are for central locking... they just splice into the existing loom

then theres a live. ground. window up. window down. window live. total closure. and child lock wire. thats only 8 wires you need to connect ;)
still took me a blown up 4 way switch and loads of swearing to get it all done:p

·
Premium Member
12,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm having serious trouble with this, I am ****ing hopeless with anything that involves work on my car :cry:

Someone help me please, I am looking at the new loom, and its not making sence, got wires everyt which way but loose, one side has the flexi pipe that fits to the passenger door, the other doesnt it just has a box on it :crying_2:

Knew I never should have started the bloody thing!!!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts