Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've got a slight problem with my Zafira A (55 plate). During Christmas the rear doors stopped unlocking properly.

It first started with the rear passenger side door, when it went the key fob would no longer activate the lock, and also the nobbly bit on the door seemed a lot higher than the other doors (basically it has raised so high that when it's open you can spin the plastic cap fully round.

Then the rear driver side door did exactly the same thing. I can still manually open them but on both of them the plastic bits seem to be now way too high in comparison to where they should be.

On occassion they will still unlock, with the key fob but it's very intermittent.

I asked a local garage about it and he told me that it's the wiring loom that's gone. He give me a quote of £100 for the wiring loom and £180 to fix it. I looked on the internet and most places seem to be selling the wiring looms for about £20-£30 (there is even one guy on eBay who claims he can fix the problem for £60) - so I'm thinking £280 for this garage to fix the problem seems very high especially if the wiring loom is only valued at £20-£30 and he's putting an extra £70 on it. This garage though is very good and normally does a good job, although in the past has been known to slightly overcharge for certain things.

He hasn't checked whether it could be anything else, the only thing is it does seem a bit strange that the locks are also out of alignment with where they are meant to be if it is a wiring loom issue, surely that would just cause the locks to not work, and not actually push the notches up out of their sockets or is it because the locking mechanism has entered some kind of emergency service mode or something?

So what does everyone think - is £280 for having the wiring loom replaced over priced or is it reasonable, and if we don't have it done what is likely to happen? Will it get to a stage that we either can't unlock or lock the doors, even manually, or will we always be able to unlock/lock by hand (don't really fancy ending up being locked in the car, or having to leave the car unlocked either!)

·
14,169 Posts
There is a sticky on here that gives you all the information you need about what wiring breaks, where it is located and how to fix it.

Reactions: Fred Bassett

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the information about the sticky about fixing the problems - but I was more asking firstly is £280 to fix the rear door locks a bit overpriced? Whilst the sticky does seem easy enough to follow knowing my luck and knowledge of car electronics I'd probably end up making the thing worse or even worse possibly end up accidentally activating the dead lock and ending up stuck in the car.

Also I've asked another garage and they've told me that as the locks are slightly higher than they should be it sounds more like the actuator has gone rather than the wiring loom. I don't know what an actuator is but the other garage did tell me it's quite an expensive part (I did a search on the internet and came up with a price of about £8-10 not that expensive really, or does the actuator need something else doing to it, like maybe coding into the lock system or something?). I also can't understand why a broken wiring loom either would cause the locks to pop out of their sockets, as that seems more mechanical than electronical, also even though the rear doors aren't unlocking/locking with the fob, when I press the fob I can hear the motor in both the front and rear doors whirring - there are like 3 whirrs, one at the front, the middle and then the boot, and both the boot and the front unlock.

·
Super Moderator
27,038 Posts
An " Actuator " is a motor that moves a mechanism , i e a door lock .

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice on the locks, although now it seems we might have something more bigger to worry about. Yesterday we noticed oil under the car, I checked the oil and it appears to be full, but half way up the dipstick is this strange chocolatey brown sludge stuff, our next door neighbour said to us it's water getting into the oil that, but how water is getting into the oil we have no idea. Hope it's only a bit of rainwater or something, we haven't changed the oil in nearly 11 months and the cars done nearly 15,000 miles now so it might be just it's time for an oil change.

·
Super Moderator
27,038 Posts
Hmm , without seeing it , it's hard to tell if it is water , usually it's a mayonnaise type sludge on the oil filler cap etc , I'd be worried in case there's a build up of sludge in the engine , might be prudent to get the sump off & check the oil strainer etc during the service .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.