Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would appreciate if someone could offer some advice please.
I was doing some maintenance on my Vivaro 2017 today which included break pads. I got the fronts changed over no problem but when I moved onto the rears I just couldn’t get the nuts that hold the calliper in place undone, since I can’t swivel it left or right. ( nuts are completely rusted ) Am I waisting my time here? Does this require a ramp or is there possibly a tool I can buy to make job easier? I am by no means a mechanic but I have always carried out basic maintenance on my vans .

thanks for any help

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
Lots of plusgas spray, or a 50:50 acetone ATF mix brushed onto the bolts. Repeat regularly over 24 hours. If all else fails hit it with fire. Heat followed by cooling from a freeze spray or compressed air can loosen the rust. Be very careful of rubber boots seals or hoses.

A nasty but effective method that you shouldn't use :censored: : If you can get a long ratchet handle in but don't have a lot of room to get force onto it, you can try either lowering the vehicle so that the weight of it moves the handle, or try lifting the handle with a spare jack. Bear in mind if it slips, the nut breaks etc, it could go badly and cause damage and death, so use common sense. (y)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lots of plusgas spray, or a 50:50 acetone ATF mix brushed onto the bolts. Repeat regularly over 24 hours. If all else fails hit it with fire. Heat followed by cooling from a freeze spray or compressed air can loosen the rust. Be very careful of rubber boots seals or hoses.

A nasty but effective method that you shouldn't use :censored: : If you can get a long ratchet handle in but don't have a lot of room to get force onto it, you can try either lowering the vehicle so that the weight of it moves the handle, or try lifting the handle with a spare jack. Bear in mind if it slips, the nut breaks etc, it could go badly and cause damage and death, so use common sense. (y)
thank you very much for the advise. I will do as you recommend with regards to the spray and heat. I purchased a good quality ratchet and socket set today so will give it another try tomorrow. If that fails I will take into a garage. It’s not the cost, I just like giving things a go myself, within reason of course.

·
Super Moderator
12,453 Posts
get back to me soon as ya can,let me know which account ya would like to keep, if not i will pick for you, one account only allowed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts