Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well had another job to do yesterday replace rear discs and pads.This may help someone

1-Loosen rear wheel-17mm
2-Jacked car up.. supported on axle stand and then removed rear wheel
3-With handbrake temporarily on loosen torx screw holding rear disc to hub flange
4-Release handbrake then remove handbrake cable by removing clip where cable goes through the caliper(round hole) and then un-hook from the caliper arm
5-Undo caliper bolts 2x13mm you will also need 17mm spanner to hold locking nut
6-Remove caliper and remove pads
7-Remove 2x E18 torx caliper holder bolts and remove caliper bracket.. then pad retaining clips and wire brush..also wire brush caliper holder where the pads fit into ensure all's clean
8-Remove torx screw on disc and remove disc
9-Using caliper winding tool wind back piston clockwise untill it reaches it's stop..you have to push while turning the piston clockwise at the same time for it to go in..it's on a fine thread and will take a bit of effort
10-Making sure new disc clean refit ensuring you refit torx bolt to hold disc onto flange.. then caliper holder..then pad retaining clips
11-Fit new pads into holder then refit caliper ensuring the sliders are free and not seized..may need cleaning and re-greasing
12-Refit handbrake cable ensuring clip re-fitted into grove on the handbrake cable and re-hook the round ball into the arm
13-Press footbrake and then put handbrake on all should be ok with no freeplay..refit wheel and bed brakes in.

Same for each side.

·
13,086 Posts
The caliper bolts are E18 not T18, just in case anyone goes out and buys the wrong tool to undo them.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Me too . Got new disks and pads to do . Going to paint every thing up tho . Just not sure what colour. Go standard silver or something like f1 turquoise patronus green . Instead of red or blue . Yawn lol
my least fave job this , hate windey back calipers lol
Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
188 Posts
Are The rear pistols left or right handed thread. Don't want to get wrong tool

·
Worn Out Member
5,980 Posts
Are The rear pistols left or right handed thread. Don't want to get wrong tool

Both the "pistols" are r/h lol don't you just love spellcheckers

Reactions: bunch21 and andy_v

·
Registered
188 Posts
Omg lol . I never realised. Lol well now I know the correct calliber lol . Cheers r/hand

·
Registered
188 Posts
Got a 1 man self bleeding pipe . It's got like a ball bearing in end off pipe . Suppose this is the 1 way valve . Do I still need to submerge this in a bottle with brake fluid or can i just pump

·
Worn Out Member
5,980 Posts
Never used one,always used a pressure bleeder,other than the fact it will get messy if you just pump the fluid out i would still use a jar just to be on the safe side

Reactions: Richw32

·
Registered
188 Posts
That's true . Just really needed to know if it had to be submerged
Never used one,always used a pressure bleeder,other than the fact it will get messy if you just pump the fluid out i would still use a jar just to be on the safe side

·
13,086 Posts
I always submerge the pipe, regardless of whether it has the one way valve or not.

Reactions: Richw32 and andy_v

·
Premium Member
16,188 Posts
I've used a bit of silicone pipe with a bolt in the end and a 5mm slice just above the bolt. I use it submerged. Works a treat for changing fluid.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I also use a simple pipe with a smal slot. I have also never understood why one would need to bleed the brakes after a simple pad or shoe change??

·
Registered
188 Posts
I also use a simple pipe with a smal slot. I have also never understood why one would need to bleed the brakes after a simple pad or shoe change??
I like to flush out the fluid every so often . It looses it's value over time . Goes cloudy is another way to tell if it's spent

1 - 20 of 27 Posts