Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi folks, need your advice here . ive got the 2.2 cd on a 52plate , its just started making a rattling noise from the engine area . upon closer inspection it sounds like its coming from behind the cambelt cover area. i cant get hold of the tools to pull the cover off till wednesday and wondered if any of you have had a similar problem or may be able to shed some light on this for me. any help ,tips or suggestions would be really helpful , cheers in advance brian:(

R

·
0 Posts
DO NOT START THE CAR!!!!!!!

Sounds like it could be the cambelt tensioner about to fail. Do NOT take a chance with this one mate. Strip it down and replace that tensioner and belt.

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats the news i wasnt wanting to hear , the cars only 3 and a half year old and only done 27ooo miles. not good!!! . i was hoping it may have been the waterpump bearings or alternator or sumfin . the joys!!!
cheers buddy

·
Omega Tank Commander
7,722 Posts
If its the water pump bearings its equaly as bad as its cambelt driven.

First thing to try is put the climate control onto ECO to turn of the aircon compressor clutch and see if it goes away.

Next step would be to pop the aux belt off.....to see if its alternator (unlikely if its a rattle) or aux belt tensioner.

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cheers for ur help guys,il try that 2mrw mark when i get the car dug out of the snow. looks like im gonna have a bad week with the motor. ive also got the battery light on the dash glowing very dim when ive alot of elec accesories on , do u think this may be related if the auxilliary belt tensioner is on its way out by not being able to hold the belt tight enough for the alternator?

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
rite , well i tried as mark said and turned the climate control onto eco , this had no effect on the rattle so i thinking it rules out out the aircon compressor clutch ,cheers anyway mark . next , im noticing whilst turning the steering from lock to lock and holding onfull lock that the rattle is a bit quieter ,the result of this leads me to think that my auxilliary belt tensioner could be on its last legs, quite shady really for a 3 n a half year old car with 27k mls on the clock. cant get the tools till wed to pull the cam cover off , but il post again once ive checked to let u know how i get on wit it . cheers folks brian

1 - 6 of 6 Posts