Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed some loss of coolant liquid and couldn't trace the leak until now. I found out that I've got a hailine crack of some 12 mm in length on the left hand end of the radiator. The crack runs from under the hose, in the centre, and after the hose, for some 5 mm
Because I'm such a cheapskate :lmao: I thought of repairing it.

Since I have two of the cavs, and I had the simmilar problem with it, I know it's a common thing, so any experiences would be welcome ;)

I thought first using hot soldering iron on the crack to somewhat seal it and then I thought usins some superglue like Loctite mixed with some plastic or aluminum scrapes / bits, to add some rigidity to the glue, then to cover it completely with another piece of plastic (a part of a PET coke bottle? - it seems like it could hold the pressure and heat) glued to it all.

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
Mine had a tiny crack like that and was only 6 months old- it exploded during an M.O.T test!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bigdrifter said:
Mine had a tiny crack like that and was only 6 months old- it exploded during an M.O.T test!
Heh, I'm lucky that didn't happen to me =)
I found out about that when I went pounding it and on the traffic light I saw steam running from under the bonnet. The thing was squirting a tiny spray right on the manifold ;)
I'll try to mend it for at least a month, I'm planning an engine rebuild in May, and I'll change this radiator with a new copper one ;)

·
CavWeb's Oldguy
4,816 Posts
You have little chance of repairing it. That plastic is 'oilly' and I have yet to find a glue or solvent that will cure to it properly and survive water at 100 degrees and a few psi of pressure at the piont of maximum stress in the radiator. And I tried really hard last year.

Best bet is to get a replacement from a scrappie or get the new radiator now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts