Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Looking for some more help please. Used my wifes Tigra 1.8 today and waited on her with engine running. Noticed that the temp rose past 90 C and no fan came on. Come to think of it I cannot remember when it ever came on as she only does short journeys. The car runs great and the temp is steady around 80C under normal driving so does that mean the temp sensor is ok?
Done some searches on this with limited success.
So I checked all the fuses - all ok. Is there a relay?
No error codes using the pedals test.
Tried the aircon switched on (aircon has never worked since we got car) - no fan.
Pulled out the air mass switch - no fan.
Had a quick look at the fan which turns freely and no apparent loose/broken wires.
I am not very electrically minded, but like to give things a go with some advice.

Any help would be appreciated on how to check it or faultfind

thanks

·
Premium Member
737 Posts
Have you got a laptop or can lend one if so buy an opcom from @Koicarpkeeper in there you can go into settings and test cooling fans you can also look at the reading your sensors are showing

·
Premium Member
737 Posts
Usually the engines with thermostat set at 105c don't have temp gauge on dash to stop people thinking there car was overheating

·
Worn Out Member
5,779 Posts
That's a Z18XE engine so the start of opening of the stat should be 92c,
if it's running at a true 80c and it's not just the gauge reading low then it's running a bit cooler than ideal,with a 92c stat the fan won't kick in at 90c but it should if the temp gets between 92-98c.
The fan should also kick in with the a/c on but as the a/c isn't working the fan probably won't work either(not sure on that,never tried it)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for replies.
am going to try unplugging fan and try direct to power to see if fan works.
will also try unplugging at temp sensor and bridge a wire to see if fan comes on.
Any issues trying these?
Car has never reached half way on temp when driving.

The main thing that concerns me is that switching on your aircon should bring on the fan (according to videos I watched) Now my aircon light comes on but no cooler air, I just took it as needing regassed.
Also unplugging at air mass unit should bring on the fan?

Are there any relays I can check?
Only shows radiator fan fuse in book which is fine.

thanks

·
Worn Out Member
5,779 Posts
There's possibly up to 3 relays for the Z18XE,check these (not all slots will be used)
all relays powered from F52 (30a)

Untitled picture.png

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What have I done?!?

I powered up the fan from a spare battery and it worked fine.
I unclipped the temp sensor and switched ignition on ready to bridge the connector but the fan came on before I could?
Switched off and plugged temp sensor back in.
Started engine and the engine warning light stayed on. Exhaust emissions in book.
Switched off and checked pedal check codes.

Wow - 0335, 0110, 0100, 0115, 1481, 1482(twice)

Now I changed the crank sensor last week as well as a new air mass unit.
The others suggest engine coolant temp and fan relay 1 and 2.

should I be worried.
Battery is now flat so having to recharge!

Help please

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Valer,

There are 3 green relays. Took them all out and did a simple test that all 3 had resistance as required.

The fuse in 52 is 40A?

just done a quick test drive and the car seems to run fine, no lumpiness or hesitation.
double checked all the codes again and all there, and it is not 1482 twice it is 1482 and 1483.
engine light still on.

There is obviously an issue with the radiator fan/temp sensor. Why would the fan click on when I unplug the temp sensor, surely if the circuit is disconnected it should not come on, or am I missing something?
cannot understand why crank and IAT are on as i changed them 2 weeks ago?
pic of temp gauge as previously suggested temp could be low. This is normal running temperature

any help would be much appreciated or its off to the garage!
thanks temp.jpg

·
Worn Out Member
5,779 Posts
I'd recommend clearing the codes then run the car and see which codes come back,
using the pedal trick to read them is ok in an emergency but you can't see which are present and which are historic,
turning the ignition on with sensors disconnected will throw codes,so best to get a clean start.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks ,Valer

can I clear codes without any special equipment?

I did unplug the battery overnight and after todays drive they were all there.

Is there some form of master reset?

thanks

·
Worn Out Member
5,779 Posts
No you need a code reader,just a basic obd 2 will do the job,
even though i have some decent stuff, i keep a bluetooth elm 327 in the car and torque pro on my phone for emergencies

·
Don't be afraid it's only nuts and bolts
786 Posts
My Zafira had the same engine and problem,i bought a new thermostat and sensor worked fine for 3 weeks and started again so got a new one and same thing sendor went in the end i just pulled the plug and the fans run as soon as you start it ad you found out to be honest yeah the light was on and fans on all the time but drove fine

1 - 14 of 14 Posts