Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just changed the H/G on a Mk3 XR2 1.6 CVH. aligned the crank up to TDC and aligned the cam pulley with the notch and the hole as described in the Haynes bible. The car starts now, but it shoots up to 4k RPM.... could this be because the timing is out???

Need to get this car sorted by this evening ideally! :crying_2:

·
Premium Member
5,746 Posts
im not too good on the cvh but it doesnt sound like timing. more like a wire/pipe of some sort not connected. how's the tickover controlled? is it running smooth apart from that?

·
I dont fear the Reaper, Reaper fears me
6,869 Posts
you wouldnt want the crank to be at TDC tho, should be few Degree back .

But the RPM shouldnt be the timing, if timing out the runs like a bag of spuds .

EDIT: only my experience but its usually around 10d BTDC , altho not definate

·
6,869 Posts
Usually [ if i rem right ] on the inlet around the idle control ?
A small pipe is usually connected around there which can be left off ...

·
Premium Member
12,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers for the advice guys, I got it sorted in the end.... simple mistake really, on the inlet there's washers, and one of these washers was put on between the inlet and the head by accident meaning the inlet wasn't sealed on. Put the inlet back on after and it started and ran first time.

That's my first H/G :)

·
6,869 Posts
it didnt go too badly then. as long as it doesnt go pop in the next week or so you can be pretty sure you've done a good job. lol
lol, way to get the confidence lol .
As long as it ticks over right etc should be fine . how did u check the tension on the belt ?
U sure u put it dead on TDC ?

·
Premium Member
12,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dead on TDC, yeah. On the CVH there's markings on the crank pulley and also on the camshaft pulley, I just ligned the two up, and then me and a mate tensioned the belt up.

After the inlet was put on properly, it ran sweet as a nut really.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts