Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a running problem with my C20XE Cav SRi:cry:

I think i have traced the fault to a blocked breather pipe from the rocker cover to the throttle body, just need to confirm...

On the back of the rocker cover, as you look in from the front of the car, there are two breather pipes, one large, and one small. If i remove the two pipes, i can easily blow down the larger pipe, but the small one seems blocked solid. I have removed the pipe, and blown down with no effort. However, when i reattach the pipe at the throttle body end, i cannot blow down it at all. Is this correct, or is the breather inside the throttle body blocked?

If the breather is blocked, how can i unblock it?:mmmm

Thanks in advance,

Jon

·
Registered
29 Posts
Common Problem

Sound exactly like it is blocked.

This is a common problem but can easily be remedied by using a small drill bit to clean out this pipe. ( Remember to put some kitchen roll etc. on the inside to stop any crap entering the inlet manifold. ) A few sprays of carb cleaner will then finish the job off nicely.

Regards.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply:)Cool2:), just (another!!) quick question...

How can i get kitchen roll, etc, on the inside of the throttle body? Obviously if i remove the SFi box from the top of the tb, i can open the butterflies, but can't see how i can stop the crap entering the inlet manifold. If i put tissue in, when i pull it back out, surely all the crap will just drop in anyway?:mmmm

Would it be possible to push the crap out from the inside of the tb, or is that not physically possible? Also, am i correct in thinking that where that breather pipe enters the tb, there are also a pair of coolant hoses?

Cheers,

Jon

·
CavWeb's Oldguy
4,816 Posts
If you rotate the drill bit carefully by hand you should be able to get 95% of the hardened oil out. Any that drops in shouldn't cause much of a problem as petrol is a solvent.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers lads, looks like i've got my afternoon sorted now... Shouldn't take too long, prob just one of those "5 minute jobs"!!:p

Just (another!!) quick question... How does this breather become blocked anyway? By rights, surely just air should pass through a breather? Is it something i'm doing wrong, e.g. oil changes too infrequently, running the petrol tank too low, short journeys? :mmmm

Can't understand what causes this pipe to block up.:shake

Cheers

Jon

·
Registered
29 Posts
Your not doing anything wrong

As mentioned earlier - this is a common problem ( which can cause all sorts of idling issues )

Once you have cleaned it out - you should't have any more problems if you keep up with the servicing and use decent quality oil.

If it does block again ( which will take years rather than months ) - simply clean it again. Definately nothing wrong with your engine it is just one of those simple to solve problems that we all get from time to time.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pleased to hear that! Was beginning to think that it may be something i was doing wrong!

Shes' due an oil change soon, next 1k miles, and am doing them every 4,500 miles, with good quality 10W/40 s/synthetic oil.

Thanks a lot for the advice, have to admit that i haven't undertaken the task yet, as its pouring with rain - i'm a fair-weather mechanic i'm afraid!!

Thanks again,

Jon

1 - 7 of 7 Posts