Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Only going forward :)
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right new Cav, new problems LOL.

Only niggles though, so...

The alloys have started to peal (the centre caps are worse than the alloys TBH) and ideas on whether they can be DIY refurb'ed or am i better trying to bet a better set? (I'd imagine that pro refurb would be out of my price range.)

The handbrake cable needs sorting as the handbrake is nearly vertical, it has disc's so, are they any more difficult to change than the drum ones?

·
Premium Member
5,746 Posts
Nice one. Get some pics up mate. Alloys can be DIY refurbed quite easily but it is time consuming. It may be worth looking for a clean set from a GSi as these suit the CDi.

The handbrake cable on the disc rear is easier to swap than the drum ones but rarely necessary unless its jammed or broken. Try some lube and the adjuster first. Its also seperate cables from so far down the car so you may well find that one has snapped leaving the other loose. I think last time I got some it was about £11 for the short one and £18 for the long but that will be quite a few years back now.

·
CavWeb's Oldguy
4,816 Posts
Agree with that. Get a good soaking of Plus-Gas onto the adjuster on the rear beam but it could as easily be the auto adjusters not working. There is a good chance, if it is that bad, that you are going to need rear shoes so use it as an opportunity to check the pads as well. It is more complex to change than a front disc but still pretty straightforward. A complete set of discs/pads/shoes should be around £50.

I have lots of those CD wheels and the center caps are a right nuisance. If you can find new ones they will be around £25 each! So refurb is the way. At least you can easily bring them inside to do. Also watch out for 'slow punctures' as they are prone to side seal bleed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.