Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

putting alloy's on my astra

3K views 21 replies 5 participants last post by  Andy 
#1 ·
as above the thing is i am not sure if i need to change the stud's as the wheel's that r on my astra are steel's at the moment thank's for any help

#6 ·
Depends on whether the new alloys are Vx ones or not. If not then make sure you get advise on the new nuts as some wheels need a certain taper and fitting the wrong ones can result in the wheel falling off, don't laugh, I know someone it happened to.

If they are Vx alloys you'll be ok on the PCD front.

#7 ·
I wouldn't have thought you'd need to change the wheel bolts (note:- there are no nuts as there are no studs coming out of the hub) as most, if not all Vauxhalls with alloys as standard have come with a steel wheel spare for quite a while now and the same bolts can be used to fit the spare steel wheel on if you have a puncture for example.

#8 ·
Good point Dave, I didn't point that out as I was unsure on whether the 4 stud Astra used studs and nuts instead of bolts. Now I think of it I do remember they use bolts and yes they do use the same bolts as alloys.

I have a set of Vx locking wheel bolts available if that's any use. Second hand but in good nick, £10 delivered.

#10 ·
Ad1.8GLS said:
for the record the alloy wheel's i have just got today are non vauxhall alloys.
i am not sure if my astra has ever had alloy's fitted to it
if they are non/vaux wheels best check what studs are needed then,

what they mean above is for example. my astra has alloys as standard but a steel spare, so the studs from my alloys must fit the steel wheel so the studs in you steels would prob fit vauxhall alloys, but not 100% if they would fit aftermarket wheels, depends on the type,

#11 ·
Best to check the alloys use the same taper bolts as the Vx wheels, a lot do but some don't. Also make sure you fit spigot rings if the wheels need them, they are a must if the wheels need them and most do.

Check the offset or ET and make sure it's between 40-49 as well.

#13 ·
First thing you have to confirm is that the wheels actually fit the car if you converted it to 5 stud. The PCD or wheel stud spacing should be 110 on a 5 stud Astra. Secondly make sure you have or can get the correct spigot rings, no use doing all the work and finding out the spigot rings don't fit.

As for converting, that's a tricky question, can it be done? yep sure can. You need to change over the rear hubs and fit the rear discs and calipers that 5 stud Astras have, you'll need a new handbrake cable as you've probably got drums and it uses a different handbrake cable. Now you need the front knuckle off a 5 stud Astra as well as the front calipers bolt onto it and the carrier for the caliper is seperate unlike the 4 stud version, you'll need 5 stud calipers and 5 stud discs. Most of those will be available in scrapyards as there are lots of 5 stud Astra broken.

You could convert the front discs to use the 308mm ones the Gsi and Turbo Coupe use but you'd need 17" wheels for those to fit under.

Failing that, sell the 5 studs and buy some 4 stud wheels. 4 stud wheels use PCD 100 and they are quite common.

#15 ·
Andy R said:
that makes most sense to me tbh,
It's the easiest but it's not the best solution. Converting to 5 studs has a lot of advantages, most of which is the much bigger brakes the 5 stud has as standard, secondly 5 studs are ABS and he could always try and retro fit a ABS setup as he'll probably already have the hubs. He can convert to the 308mm setup off a GSi and that has a LOT of stopping power and looks much nicer filling the wheels. And lastly he'll have rear discs and get rid of those unsightly rear drums which don't look great behind big alloys.

However it's not that easy but it's not that hard either. However and this is not being nasty, if you didn't spot the difference between a 4 stud wheel and a 5 stud wheel at first glance converting a brake setup may be beyond you.

#17 ·
to tell the truth when i frist looked at them i didn't see the bolt holes and when i got the wheels home i had a quick look and toke note that theu had been used on a 5stud system before but didn't think anything about it till i went to fit them this morning

#18 ·
Oddjob said:
However it's not that easy but it's not that hard either. However and this is not being nasty, if you didn't spot the difference between a 4 stud wheel and a 5 stud wheel at first glance converting a brake setup may be beyond you.

that was my point about being expensive if u have to pay someone else to fit them,

also just because it is 4 stud atm doesnt mean it wont have rear discs and ABS already,
i would imagine if wouldnt have either or maybe just ABS but some 4 stud astras have both,
also i didnt realise the different size in discs between the 2,

if he wants to do the 5 stud conversion may aswell fit 308mm discs while hes at it, wont cost too much more and will defenetly,

completley agree about the advantages of 5 stud :up:

Ad1.8GLS what alloys is it you have bought?

#20 ·
Andy R said:
also just because it is 4 stud atm doesnt mean it wont have rear discs and ABS already,
i would imagine if wouldnt have either or maybe just ABS but some 4 stud astras have both
Fair point Andy but the clue was in his first post. You can get 4 stud Astras with ABS and drums, I've just sold a rear beam to convert one to rear discs, some come with rear discs as standard however I've NEVER seen an ABS Astra that came with steel wheels, they all get alloys as standard as the spec level for getting rear discs and ABS would mean alloys were fitted as standard.

#21 ·
Oh dear it's really not your day is it. The tyres sizes are wrong for a Mk4 Astra, 15" wheels should have 195/60x15 tyres on IIRC. Are your existing steel wheels 15" if so you could swap the tyres off them onto the alloys if you ever sort them out.

No offense but for £100 I could have found a set of 16" genuine alloys off a Mk4.

As they are 15" you won't be able to fit the 308mm discs on as they need 17" wheels as a minimum although I've seen them fit behind certain 16" wheels.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.