Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my 4th tyre puncture in over 50 years of driving today and goodness how many miles. I think my latest Corsa is jinxed. At least the TPM warned me and so I went home straight away. I'd replaced the tyre repair kit with a spare wheel (185 70 x14) and tool kit on my Corsa D and swapped them over. My friend did the same on his earlier Corsa E. Same size wheels (195 55 x16) and same size spare. His spare fits and mine doesn't. It won't clear the caliper. So what size spare am I supposed to have? Also, I inpected the punctured tyre and could find no nails, scews or damage.

·
13,092 Posts
Either chuck your wheel in the bath and look for leaks after blowing it up.
Or spray it with a soapy water mix and look for bubbles.
Or take it to a decent tyre place that has an immersion tank and the means to submerge the tyre.

Reactions: Fred Bassett

·
Premium Member
1,845 Posts
if your car has 16inch wheels a 14 will defo be wrong for the front will need a 15 or 16 to clear brakes,or just do as some do fit the smaller wheel to rear and the rear to front to get you home.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if your car has 16inch wheels a 14 will defo be wrong for the front will need a 15 or 16 to clear brakes,or just do as some do fit the smaller wheel to rear and the rear to front to get you home.
Thanks. As I said my friend has 16" and his 14 spare fits. There must have been some brake changes during the Corsa E life

·
Premium Member
2,268 Posts
Has your friend tried his spare on the front or back? There is usually more clearance round the back brakes, as the discs tend to be smaller.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He confirmed he had tried it on the front so I assume it must be a change in caliper between the first Corsa E and 2018

·
Worn Out Member
5,984 Posts
He confirmed he had tried it on the front so I assume it must be a change in caliper between the first Corsa E and 2018
Was this the one i checked the spec on a while ago,reg ending in WTK ?
if so it's shown as 15" front and back disc brake system,
there are other options(smaller and larger) plus rear drums fitted on some so i would say your mates is one of those,
if you have the reg i can confirm if it's a different setup to yours.

Reactions: Fred Bassett

·
Don't be afraid it's only nuts and bolts
838 Posts
Im sure the e has a different pcd to the d maybe thats why it doesn’t fit

·
838 Posts
Just checked what year is your corsa coz they do change from 4x100 to 4x108

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Was this the one i checked the spec on a while ago,reg ending in WTK ?
if so it's shown as 15" front and back disc brake system,
there are other options(smaller and larger) plus rear drums fitted on some so i would say your mates is one of those,
if you have the reg i can confirm if it's a different setup to yours.
Thanks. Yes it is that car you checked SV68WTK. I don't have my mate's reg. I now have a 185 60? x15 and this fits. Took the punctured wheel and tyre to the place I use and they resealed it as they couldn't find a leak. Didn't work so took it back for them to keep until fixed. Obtained the 15" by returning the mint 14" to the scrap yard I'd got it from. Only 15" they had was manky but what could I do? I'll try and get it swapped for something better when they get something in. I've a feeling I'll be waiting some time. As I said, I think this car is jinxed
Just checked what year is your corsa coz they do change from 4x100 to 4x108
Thanks for your suggestion but the holes did line up. The 14" wheel would not clear the caliper

·
838 Posts
Ah ok buddy i was just a thought i knew they changed but glad you sorted it,where abouts are you from?im a tyre fitter by trade and I would get them to inflate the wheel ,drench the wheel in leak finder including the valve and core if they still dont find any leak get them to remove the tyre and check the beads and if any paint corrosion then either a good wire brush or grind the beads til smoothed and reseal it including the valve just to illuminate any problems

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ah ok buddy i was just a thought i knew they changed but glad you sorted it,where abouts are you from?im a tyre fitter by trade and I would get them to inflate the wheel ,drench the wheel in leak finder including the valve and core if they still dont find any leak get them to remove the tyre and check the beads and if any paint corrosion then either a good wire brush or grind the beads til smoothed and reseal it including the valve just to illuminate any problems
I live in Guisborough nr Middlesbrough. The wheel is currently with Tyre City in Brotton, They inflated and checked for leaks with water. None found. Removed tyre, checked rim and resealed. No luck. That's why they have it back. I'll let you know the outcome

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
50 psi showed up a puncture. Had a new tyre put on and I asked if the £10 resealing cost could be deducted. It was. Please see new thread regarding the TPMS

1 - 14 of 14 Posts