Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Omega pulls to the left a bit under heavy braking, not enough to be dangerous but really annoying nonetheless. Recently had MOT (24% bias on front brakes), they said the pads/discs were getting a bit worn, so I changed those today, expecting that to cure it, but no such luck. Any suggestions on where I should look next? Wishbones maybe?
 
C

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Did you check the pistons all went in and moved freely? Greasing them up may help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pistons went in no problem at all, I was going to pull the dust boots off and see if they needing anything, but they slid back in so nice & smooth I didn't bother.
 
C

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Guess bleeding wouldn't hurt to make sure both sides are air free.
Front tyres same tread and depth?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
410 Posts
had this on my omega, check the sliding pins - 1 top, 1 bottom mine were seized on both sides of car, just strip down, remove rust and grease before asembly, should be fine then(if its that causing the problem)
good luck,
Graham.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Graham M said:
had this on my omega, check the sliding pins - 1 top, 1 bottom mine were seized on both sides of car, just strip down, remove rust and grease before asembly, should be fine then(if its that causing the problem)
good luck,
Graham.
Graham, I assume you're talking about the caliper sliding pins, just replaced my discs and pads and the pins were absolutely fine, so no problem there. The way it behaves, if you brake gently it's fine, then as you press harder there comes a point where it pulls to one side, then when you re-centre the steering wheel it doesn't pull any harder, until you ease off the brakes then you kind of need to 're-set' the steering again. It feels like the brakes work fine, but it's a steering/suspension thing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
466 Posts
If the thrust bushing on the wishbone is worn more on one side than the other, that will cause the car to veer to that side under braking. What happens is that the worn bush allows the wheel to pivot backwards under the force of braking. That means the wheel then points slightly outwards, steering the car off course which you have to correct by turning the steering wheel in the opposite direction.

If the effect is much more pronounced under heavy braking then my money's on the wishbone bush. You'll also find that when you have to correct by steering, the car feels much less stable. This is because the combination of the worn bush and the steering correction means the car now goes straight ahead, but the wheels are now toeing out - not particularly desirable on a road car especially if you're emergency braking!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Paul M said:
If the thrust bushing on the wishbone is worn more on one side than the other, that will cause the car to veer to that side under braking. What happens is that the worn bush allows the wheel to pivot backwards under the force of braking. That means the wheel then points slightly outwards, steering the car off course which you have to correct by turning the steering wheel in the opposite direction.

If the effect is much more pronounced under heavy braking then my money's on the wishbone bush. You'll also find that when you have to correct by steering, the car feels much less stable. This is because the combination of the worn bush and the steering correction means the car now goes straight ahead, but the wheels are now toeing out - not particularly desirable on a road car especially if you're emergency braking!
Paul, all makes sense to me, re-inforces my thought's, better start looking out for wishbones on ebay!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
oooooooooohhhhhhhhh bug**r
sounds like the problem i was searching for on here, oh well looks like i will have to find someone to do mine......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Marks DTM Calib said:
My first port of call would be to change the bake fluid......its probably long over due anyway....
Mark, you're probably right (although I'll go with the brake fluid!), it's a lot cheaper than a pair of wishbones, and the bleed won't do any harm either, and I'll swap the front wheels over too. If none of that works, I'll go for the wishbones.

Thanks for all the advice guys, I'll report back when I get a resolution.

Ian
 

·
Omega Tank Commander
Joined
·
7,722 Posts
Very good, you need to follow a sensible approach to fault finding and try to avoid going off on tangents.

As said, the brake fluid probably wants changing anyway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Well all I can say is I sympathise with you cause I had the exact same fault for nearly 18 months. I tried all of the above replies and inspected the bushes in the bones 4 times and found no faults. I finally bit the bullet and replaced both bones and the problem went:bananasmi :bananasmi :bananasmi
Mines was pulling to the left which was scary as you steered to the right and when you released the brake it would dive towards the oncoming traffic:eh :eh . the rear pass bush finally showed a split and made me change the arms. I would say if yous is pulling to the left and you've cleared any brake binding and calliper issues and tyre issues then the problem will either be the pass side rear bush or the drivers side front bush. When the car is like it is now you have no confidence in it:shame: but get it sorted and you'll be nailing it again.
GOOD LUCK.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
omega24v6 said:
Well all I can say is I sympathise with you cause I had the exact same fault for nearly 18 months. I tried all of the above replies and inspected the bushes in the bones 4 times and found no faults. I finally bit the bullet and replaced both bones and the problem went:bananasmi :bananasmi
Mines was pulling to the left which was scary as you steered to the right and when you released the brake it would dive towards the oncoming traffic:eh . the rear pass bush finally showed a split and made me change the arms. I would say if yous is pulling to the left and you've cleared any brake binding and calliper issues and tyre issues then the problem will either be the pass side rear bush or the drivers side front bush. When the car is like it is now you have no confidence in it:shame: but get it sorted and you'll be nailing it again.
GOOD LUCK.
Your description of your problem fits mine well, although mine doesn't seem to be quite as bad as all that, nevertheless it won't get better on it's own :shame: !

I'll do the fluid & swap the front wheels, if still no good it'll be the wishbones.

Thanks to all you guys for the support, I'll report back when it's all resolved,

Ian
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Last weekend I swapped the front tyres around, and bled the brakes, no change.

Changed both front wishbones today. The rear bush on the nearside one wasn't actually connected to the wishbone anymore, I popped it out with my fingers. I'd post a picture of it if I knew how! The rest of the bushes were pretty shot too. Anyway, fixed the problem, pulls up dead straight now. Got front & rear alignments and cambers checked & adjusted this afternoon, and guess what?
Drives like an Omega again. Well pleased.

Once again guys, thanks for all the advice.

Ian
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
575 Posts
How'd the wishbone change go? I'm doing mine next weekend.

Did you have to unbolt the strut or were the droplinks and steering tie-rod enough?

Any tips?

If you want to post pictures:

1) Take out a (free) photobucket account: http://photobucket.com/
2) Follow the simple instructions to put the images on photobucket.
3) Paste the link into your post.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top