Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, not posted for some time, but been keeping my beady eyes on stuff!

Car decided, after 12 months trouble free motoring with a replacement Auto box, to go into limp home mode yesterday. Floored it off a roundabout, car got stuck in what was 1st gear revving, then with a big clunk changed up and Auto Box error came up on screen.

After switching off and back on again all seems fine, car runs ok etc.

I checked underneath (lying on the floor with head under car outside the co-op) and notice a small wet patch around the gear gearbox mounting (the rubber one near the prop shaft). I believe it's probably leaking a tiny bit from here, and has been for some time, so i'm guessing the limp home was because the level has gotten low?

Anyhow, are the seals here easy to change, and do you guys think this is the problem?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Output shaft seal is fun, but the damage may have already been done. Thrust washer is prone to packing up if the fluid gets low and then it will lodge somewhere unwanted between the overdrive unit and the sump.

Best thing is to pop the box off and give it a master service with the proper kit and a METAL thrust washer before real damage gets done. I would only tackle this if you know as much about Omegas and especially the AR25/AR35 as I do.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Best thing is to pop the box off and give it a master service with the proper kit and a METAL thrust washer before real damage gets done..
Hi
Where do I get the proper kit and metal thrust washer from please. I have stripped and rebuilt a few Borg Warner boxes in my time, but haven't tackled an AR35 before, time to learn.
Thanks
Alan

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't see it being quite this serious - as bear in mind the car is still running without a hitch, the changes are and have been smooth still, and it's not leaving any fluid on the ground anywhere (unlike the first 'box that was on it - fluid everywhere!)

I'll get her in the air over the weekend, and have a good look around. I've managed to get underneath and scrape a smidge of the wetness from the rear rubber mounting and it doesn't smell or look anything like gearbox fluid (i should know - after the last 'box again!). Confused.

I'll keep you posted on this one...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts