Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I bought a 63 plate 1.4 Astra GTC in the middle of November. It had a months warranty included from the small dealership. (Years MOT & Service included)

It has been constantly leaking oil/coolant from various places from the day I drove it out.
Mot needed a new spring, pads and various small things.

I then collected the car.

A rocker cover gasket was leaking and replaced under warranty, but started leaking again after a new one was fitted.
The expansion tank was leaking.
A hose was also replaced near the expansion tank.

I was commuting a good distance to this garage, and loosing time off work during this time. (Need my car to get to work for my 6am starts each weekday)

It was working out I was going to the garage each week.

All above was covered under the warranty. It then ran out.

It had got to the stage that I didn't trust the mechanics repairing it anyway, so handed it into a local garage I trust to check it over. (Hours labour to check it over)
They said the oil crankshaft seal was needing replaced. I then asked for a new fan belt to be fitted while this was being replaced, seeing it was squeaking and the belt was off anyway.

The rocker cover gasket started leaking again, so I handed it into a Vauxhall garage, which seems too of fixed that certain leak. (I had read online that some engine gaskets are best being from the actual dealership)
But the oil level is still going down very very slowly, and it can be seen on the ground to the left hand side under the engine. (Oil going down by a few percent per week, on the dash sensor)

I had a feeling it might be the oil pressure sensor, but this doesn't seem to be located in the same position as my old Astra 1.4 SXI.

I had also noticed the engine was running rough as well from the start, but put this down to maybe the various leaks. I assumed in the service that the spark plugs would of been changed. (Wrong)
Vauxhall pointed out my coil pack needed replaced, when the rocker cover gasket was being repaired. It literally fell to bits when I took it out. (Running on 2 cylinders)

I bought one and replaced that myself, along with a new sidelight bulb and new wipers. Then added K seal to repair a coolant leak, which has worked. (It was still leaking after all the repairs mentioned above with regards to coolant)

Sorry this is a bit of a rabble and muddled together but I am at my wits end. It cost me a small fortune before Christmas, and even after all these repairs this small oil leak still cant be located.

The engine has never overheated on the gauge once either. (Always sits in the middle)

Any help would be appreciated.

Alex

Attachments

·
11,752 Posts
The oil going down on your display is your oil life, not your oil level.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It has a full service history. That along with the years MOT service and months warranty, made me think i wouldn't run into many problems.

A lot of people get rid of a car once some things need fixed and they want rid of it. But this seems a bit over the top.

Does anyone know if the oil pressure switch is a leaking problem on this type of Astra?

How often do these cars need the oil changed, every 5k miles?

It was a female owner who had the car before me.

Alex

·
Premium Member
13,175 Posts
It has a full service history. That along with the years MOT service and months warranty, made me think i wouldn't run into many problems.

A lot of people get rid of a car once some things need fixed and they want rid of it. But this seems a bit over the top.

Does anyone know if the oil pressure switch is a leaking problem on this type of Astra?

How often do these cars need the oil changed, every 5k miles?

It was a female owner who had the car before me.

Alex
I'd say once a year or 10k is sufficient. 6k, 6 monthly if you are over the top.
I've also owned this engine within a J for around a year, engine was great, without issues.
I've also owned a few new'ish vauxhalls & had many issues, with good service histories, not including my current car.
You may just of bought a pig in a poke.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Burning oil can still be smelt when driving around, especially when sitting stationary. The smell is coming threw the vents, and a small amount can be seen front drivers side when it’s raining. Why I was on about the oil pressure sensor earlier, I would really like to pinpoint this leak myself and fix it. I have spent a lot of money as is, and cannot keep this up. When the car was in the garage being checked over, they said they couldn’t see any leaks other than the oil crankshaft seal. This was repaired along with the rocker cover gasket for the 3rd time in 2 months.

·
Premium Member
1,221 Posts
Even with the smallest amount of oil being dripped onto the ground when the rain hits it it will always spread out and look horrible and worrying----try parking somewhere else and see if the same happens--if there has been a bad oil leak on the car for a while it will take a lot of time before it clears up,thats provided the oil leaks have been repaired--might be worth getting the whole area on the car steam cleaned and see what happens after that----you need to calm down as you seem to be looking for problems---even more so if the garage you use says its ok.and try checking your oil level with the dipstick---the oil life % is a different thing altogether-------Dave

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Dave. What I’ve said is a bit muddled and not well explained. The garage said there was no leak, but I found a leak myself quite easily in the picture for the rocker cover gasket. I actually assume this was leaking down onto the crankshaft, which was resulting in it looking like the crankshaft oil seal was needing replaced. I might be wrong on that one.....and it did need a crankshaft oil seal. Though the position of it would back that up that claim up in my opinion. With regards to cleaning the oil, I will give it a clean this weekend with break cleaner, or as much as I can see and get to. Various garages have been cleaning it while it has been in, but I do understand it will need one again. It is just slightly worrying how bad that the burning smell is. I can’t actually blow air from the fans facing you, they all have had to be shut. Even with the temp turned down and on fan 1 settings. It can also be smelt standing next to the car quite bad while the engine is running. I actually love the car believe or it not, and I am past being able to hand it back to the finance company. But after the amount I’ve spent I would like some peace of mind while driving it around. If it was just the small leak mentioned, I wouldn’t even bother with it for a month, and just keep a eye on the oil level. But the smell would have to be smelt too understand how bad it is, both inside and outside the car.

·
Premium Member
1,221 Posts
It would seem that some oil is getting onto something that is hot and you need to see where that is and try and get it fixed otherwise its going to be very uncomfortable in the car, not had a lot to do with your engine so I can't really say if it has a rocker box gasket on it, sometimes it is possible to use both the gasket (if it's there) and some sealant, I would be looking for a a decent indy garage in your area for repairs as the ones you have been using are not helping you at all, where abouts are you in the UK, someone might be close to you and may be able to help - - - Dave

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I live in Glasgow.
I just picked up some Brake cleaner on the way home from work.
It is currently raining heavily, so might even go out and attempt to clean some oil off from the lower bits of the car later. (weather pending)

·
Premium Member
9,717 Posts
Its a shame you have waited this long, if you claimed on the warranty and the work they supposedly repaired was leaking again then even if the warranty had expired I would of took it back as they didn't fix it so it should still be covered.

Anyway get a big piece of cardboard and a couple of bricks, place the cardboard under the car were you think it is leaking from, put the bricks on top of the cardboard so it doesn't blow away, then the next day pull the cardboard out from under the car and you should be able to tell from the position of any marks were it is dripping.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After there second attempt of trying to fix that problem, it was still leaking. I got the impression that the garage where not to be trusted pretty quickly.
I had spent that much time and money going back and forth, i was thinking another garage will rectify it quickly locally.
The amount of time lost from work, trains, taxis to work and petrol amounted to easily over £130.
This included 2 trains going over to the garage, it was not in Glasgow. (Over A Hour Journey)

I got the impression that it was my fault from the dealership, that these faults where all cropping up. There warranty did not seem to be worth the paper it was written on.
The coolant and oil leaks where making me worry about the head gasket, not knowing the coil pack had fell to bits. I wanted another garage checking it over.

With regards for using cardboard under the car, i will try do it this weekend weather permitting. It has been raining in Glasgow today most of the day, so i have also left trying to use the brake cleaner today.

·
Premium Member
1,221 Posts
Why not ask on here for recommendations of a good indy garage in your area----bound to be someone who will help you out and then you can get to the bottom of your problems---if you can fix them yourself then good on you otherwise you are going to have to spend to get the car done---and as you said you do like the car----if you had lived closer to me I could of helped out but i'm quite a distance away -------Dave

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have improvised and cut a bed sheet down and placed bricks at each corner under the engine.

The car has not been running since i parked it up at 1.30pm.

I will see if there is any oil in the morning.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Haha yeah i asked if we had any that we didn't use.

I am not sure if putting it down 3 hours after the engine was cut off, will make any difference?

I would imagine it will still work.

I have a funny feeling it might be to do with the turbo, after various garages said they couldn't see any leaks.

The turbo would have to be used for driving around outside after all.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts