Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if any other Vauxhall owners haved suffered from a very annoying problem I am having with the Stop/Start system on my Vauxhall Insignia. The system automatically shuts down the engine in appropiate conditions, e.g. when stopped at traffic lights, and instantly restarts when the driver is ready to move away.

Lots of manufacturers have similar Stop/Start systems. Previously I had a BMW for two months with such a system so I am familiar with how they work and importantly how often the system should work.

In short, I have owned a Vauxhall Insignia Estate for 12 months. For the first few months the Stop/Start system worked fine. But now the system rarely works. Annoying it is not that system never works, it just very rarely works. In the last month I have logged the number of times I believe the Stop/System should have functioned and stopped the engine and the number of times the enginer actually did stop. Out of over 600 possible occasions the system only functioned on 12% of
times. Even more annoyingly is the system seems to have one or two days a month when works fine, stopping the engine on almost all occasions and then the next day it goes back to not operating at all.

Worst of all, the vehicle has been into my local Vauxhall dealers on many occasions and they still have not got to the route of the problem. One of their engineers has admitted to me that he does not know that much about the engines fitted with the Stop/Start system. Apart from reloading the system software there is little else he can think to try.

Have any other owners with a Vauxhall/GM engine with the Stop/Start system had similar problems?

Now I am aware that having the Stop/Start system does not automatically mean that the engine will stop every time the vehicle comes to rest. Vauxhall have supplied me with a list of the criteria that must be met before the engine will stop.

I'll list the criteria in two parts. Those that I as a driver have control of and those that I don't.

Criteria under Driver control.
Economy mode turned ON (The green light is lit on the ECO button on my dashboard)
Hood switch status is closed (Yes the hood/bonnet is closed)
Driver door status is closed (Yes the driver door is closed)
Driver seat belt status is buckled (Yes I have my seat belt fastened)
Clutch switch is fully released (Yes I take my foot off the clutch when the vehicle is stationary)
Transmission neutral position switch indicates neutral (Yes I have put the gear stick into Neutral)
No airconditioning or defrost modes (they are not in operation)
Vehicle speed during driver cycle was greater than 2mph (Yes I am driving faster than 2mph before coming to a halt)

Criteria beyond Driver control.
Ambient and engine coolant temperature correlation meets specified values
Brake booster vacuum is greater than 45 kPa
Enginer coolant temperature is less than 120C
Battery Voltage greater than 12 V
Battery state of charge greater than 75%
Diesel particulate filter regeneration is not active

So all the criteria that I can control are being met. As for the other criteria, I have no idea. Presumedly one or more of them is not being met and that is why the Stop/Start system is not operating. I would have thought the Vauxhall engineer would be able to read from the system and see which criteria is not being met and then investigate. Does anyone know if this is the case?

If anyone has had a similar experience I'd really appreciate you comments. Likewise any educated guesses at what could be causing the problem.

·
Respect mah authoritah!
4,994 Posts
I have not dealt with these systems, but hve had cars that have a start stop button, obviously not as complex as yours as i have to push the button lol. Anyway I would suspect a sensor to be at fault, ie my car would only start if the car was in first with the clutch depressed. now lets say the clutch pedal sensor is faulty, its not telling the ecu the clutch is down thus wont start the car.

If i was to guess I would say that one of the sensors is giving the ecu the wrong info and thus it stops working correctly. which sensor I have not the slighest guess. Have you phoned around see if there are anyone in other vauxhall branches that are a bit more clued up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just to clarify, the Stop/Start system is not a button to start the engine (as opposed to turning the key). It is an economy feature to automatically stop the engine when the car is not moving, i.e. at traffic lights, in queuing traffic. Once the clutch is depressed the engine automatically starts again and you pull away.

My problem is the feature rarely engages. I sit in traffic and the engine is still running. Although I do agree it could well be a sensor problem. Something is telling the system that it is not alright to stop the engine. I may take your advice and ring around some other Vauxhall branches.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Some possible progress on the problem. My car was back with Vauxhall yesterday who believe they have come up with a fix.

As mentioned above, one of the criteria for the stop/start system to stop the engine is
Battery state of charge greater than 75%

Apparently an intelligent battery sensor monitors this and instructs the BCM (Body Control Module). Testing showed the battery sensor was reporting 70% charge but independant testing showed the battery was fine. They applied an update to the BCM and cleaned up the battery connections. Now the battery sensor was reporting 93% charge and the stop/start system began functioning once again.

The system operated several times last night and this morning (a good sign). I will continue to monitor it over the coming days before being convinced that the system is completely fixed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well after a week and a half I am confident that the problem is fixed. Once warmed up the engine is stop/start on a fairly constant basis. Hopefully I'll see an improvement in my MPG.

My advice to anyone with similar problems is to keep on at Vauxhall. Don't just accept "we can see no problems" with the system.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for sharing this, My corsa stop/start was not working, i realised having read your post that i had the demister set to the windscreen only setting and that stopped it working. Nothing in the hand book covered that so big thanks!! Now the stop/start works every time! lets see if the MPG goes up now? getting 61MPG average at moment!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sad to report that problems have returned again.

After 8 or 9 weeks of working fine, the system then seemed to completely stop working for 6 days. Since then it has been working on and off. Back to the garage (again).

·
Registered
38 Posts
No experience with these systems however... what about suggesting sticky clutch / gear switch as my cruisecontrol sometimes wont work and this is fixed by tapping the brake peddle with my foot to unstick the switch! But at least it wont b coming out of ur piggybank as thers no way a system like this should stop working on such a new car!

·
Premium Member
13,088 Posts
my vec b has not got it,im happy to say:),just more to go wrong,wonder how this will work when the car gets more aged,and starter motors start to pack up

i can forsee 1000s of traffic jams caused by old repmoblies

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yea exactly my first reaction to hearing about it at first, thats one reason i buy vauxhall as they seam to b the least complicated therefore less to go wrong, mind you after buying a veccy c i think thats no longer the case :eek:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just to update. My Insignia spent another day at the garage. On collecting it I was told that they had re-seated the Neutral sensor and the Clutch sensor. Also there was an engine management update which was applied. The stop/start system is working once again. But I am just wondering for how long? Every since getting this car the system has never worked continually for more than two months. So we'll just wait and see.

·
Registered
4 Posts
not sure about you folks but i find myself turning the start/stop off as soon as i get in now. i get the feeling it's not very good for the engine and generally find it a little annoying when you stop for a sec then off again.
is there any way to disable completely? doubt there is but....

·
Registered
10 Posts
I recently purchased a second hand car from Lookers Vauxhall. A Corsa 1.2 sxi ecoflex 2012. Stop/Start worked fine for about 2/3 days then only worked when it felt like it. I contacted vauxhall dealer who informed me of all the conditions listed earlier in this post. After running round for another 2 days with no demister/radio/lights/aircon/cruise control etc etc etc and its still not working. I'm going back to the dealer once again. Seems pointless having all these features if you can't use them.

Watch this space.

Martin.

·
Super Moderator
26,611 Posts
Can't be doing with this stop/start nonsense . Had a New Passat for 3 and bit weeks i switched it off . God knows how many times it stopped and started the engine on my route to work . It's just more to go wrong .

Reactions: Jim Clarke

·
Registered
44 Posts
Sad to report that problems have returned again.

After 8 or 9 weeks of working fine, the system then seemed to completely stop working for 6 days. Since then it has been working on and off. Back to the garage (again).
Hi so did you sort this issue? I have just got a 2016 insignia sri nav (170) and having the same issue only the start stop has never worked for me?

I have checked the battery with a multimeter and it shows 12.7v rising to over 14v when engine is started, ive had insignias for years with out this issue but this is driving me nuts , especially since its just cost me almost £13k!!

I have dealt with vauxhall in the past who never seem to be able to fix anything so im hoping there is a fix that can be done?

·
"Red One.."
2,873 Posts
This is an old thread - however it'll really need a plug in diagnostically. There is a whole list of live data that can be monitored whilst testing the car, anything holding off the operation of stop/start should be relatively easy to spot.

Reactions: Fred Bassett

·
Registered
44 Posts
This is an old thread - however it'll really need a plug in diagnostically. There is a whole list of live data that can be monitored whilst testing the car, anything holding off the operation of stop/start should be relatively easy to spot.
Thats the issue though , ok not yet had it on a tech 2 but ive manually checked the battery, ive attempted it with nothing on, even automatic lights off and all heaters misters radio etc... Turned off and nothing, realistically though you shouldnt need to turn these basics off to make a function work?

Tomorrow i will put the battery on charge until fully charged to be sure but i doubt this will solve the issue as i easily do 30 mile each way to and from work alone on dual carriage way

·
"Red One.."
2,873 Posts
It's not just battery voltage the system measures and takes into account. The battery sensor can measure current required to bring the battery voltage up which it uses to calculate battery charge.

Aside this, there are dozens of other criteria that need to be met and ok'd before the system will function, it'll only take one of those and stop/start will be disabled. A decent compatible scantool or genuine GDS (tech2's replacement) will be able to monitor these.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts