Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Newbie here, please be gentle!

I'm a new owner of Astra 1.6ls hatchback (99-T) and have couple of issues......need your help and advice:Cool2:

1) My petrol gauge on dash does not move at all. There's plenty of petrol in there but it doesn't seem to register at all. Had someone to look at it and they seem to think it's my fuel sender unit (fuel pump-?) which sits inside the fuel tank that isn't working properly! I think they grounded some wires and saw the fuel gauge shoot up and have come to that conclusion. Does this sound right?

2) The temp gauge...at first I thought it didn't work at all. But when idliling or having the heater off or at very low level for about 10mins the temp gauge gradually moves and goes up to 80 degrees. But when in motion or having the heater at full it seems to drop and drop to beneath the first level indicator. Does this seems right or might be a problem with something?

Please let me know what tests I can do if I am facing problems with either one to rule out anything!

Thanks in advance;)

·
Premium Member
17,458 Posts
Hi all,

Newbie here, please be gentle!

I'm a new owner of Astra 1.6ls hatchback (99-T) and have couple of issues......need your help and advice:Cool2:

1) My petrol gauge on dash does not move at all. There's plenty of petrol in there but it doesn't seem to register at all. Had someone to look at it and they seem to think it's my fuel sender unit (fuel pump-?) which sits inside the fuel tank that isn't working properly! I think they grounded some wires and saw the fuel gauge shoot up and have come to that conclusion. Does this sound right?

2) The temp gauge...at first I thought it didn't work at all. But when idliling or having the heater off or at very low level for about 10mins the temp gauge gradually moves and goes up to 80 degrees. But when in motion or having the heater at full it seems to drop and drop to beneath the first level indicator. Does this seems right or might be a problem with something?

Please let me know what tests I can do if I am facing problems with either one to rule out anything!

Thanks in advance;)
Question 1.
I've not changed my petrol sender/fuel pump on an Astra before, but have done on other vehicles. Unfortunately quite common to have a combined sender/fuel pump located in tank. Not 100% sure with the mk4 Astra though?
Question 2,
Sounds like your thermo, a common 8v fault. You have to take cambelt off to change it though, as I did with mine. So good time to change cambelt kit too.
As you have an older car (like mine), you may not want to spend much cash. You need to consider your options.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Boroboy, thanks for your reply.

Is it quite common for the fuel sender/pump to go on Astra's? Also can you or anyone here recommned second hand places to get a part for the fuel sender/pump unit?

Just been reading up on 'over cooled' on Astra's 8v's...seems a quick fix is to have the bottom half of the radiator covered with cardboard!? Might just do that! Is there a step by step guide for this and what particular material's do I need to use? i.e. how do I stick down the cardboard to the radiator?

For info, the car has been serviced regularly and the cambelt got changed at 65k in Feb 2006. But does not mention of thermo! So am thinking is it really worth changing the cambelt because of the thermo?

Anyway, is there any harm not changing the thermo at all? Will my fuel economy just be affected only?

·
Premium Member
17,458 Posts
Boroboy, thanks for your reply.

Is it quite common for the fuel sender/pump to go on Astra's? Also can you or anyone here recommned second hand places to get a part for the fuel sender/pump unit?

Just been reading up on 'over cooled' on Astra's 8v's...seems a quick fix is to have the bottom half of the radiator covered with cardboard!? Might just do that! Is there a step by step guide for this and what particular material's do I need to use? i.e. how do I stick down the cardboard to the radiator?

For info, the car has been serviced regularly and the cambelt got changed at 65k in Feb 2006. But does not mention of thermo! So am thinking is it really worth changing the cambelt because of the thermo?

Anyway, is there any harm not changing the thermo at all? Will my fuel economy just be affected only?
I have sent you a PM.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.