Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings friends,

Recently I have difficulty shifting to 1st Gear while driving, lowering from higher gear or swithching from Reverse to 1st Gear.
I have taken the car to several repair shops, they have looked up it,and put grease on the shift stick and springs, yet still the problem remains.
I wonder what else needs to be done and what is the problem?

Thank you!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Syncromesh - the facility for easing into gear, rather than battling as in the old crash g/boxes, which generally needed doubling the clutch.

·
Premium Member
16,026 Posts
It's a Vauxhall. I think a lot of the cars around that year were the same. They will only go in at less than about 5mph or less. We had had 4 cars around that year and all were the same as was my 2 mates astra g's.

·
Super Moderator
25,354 Posts
It's a Vauxhall. I think a lot of the cars around that year were the same. They will only go in at less than about 5mph or less. We had had 4 cars around that year and all were the same as was my 2 mates astra g's.
Agreed my 2001 1.7dti wouldn’t go into first unless almost stopped.
You soon learn to drive around it.

·
11,762 Posts
Double declutching helps a lot too.

·
Registered
61 Posts
As suggested elsewhere double-declutching helps but my guess, for what it's worth, is that it's nothing to do with the gearbox but a dragging clutch not releasing properly.

·
11,762 Posts
My Corsa B 1.5 TD used to be the same every now and then.

·
3,024 Posts
hy, I am yet to see a f17 that lets you stick it in 1st gear unless you are almost stopped... valid also for astra h and J... for non m32 gearboxes....personally i am sick of see the 5 speed manual... and the most i can do is re adjust neutral and maybe change gearbox oil if the owner insists and that seems to help a tad in cold weather... i find it very weird every time i jump into a vw manual or bmw that i can put it very easy in 1st even at 20 mph... (i have 7 years of driving only a f17 in astra dti as my main.... and i looked into it... a lot... and i realized is nothing i can do...)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts