Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I was driving home yesterday in my 2004 vivaro, and the power steering suddenly stopped working it was like trying to drive a tank so heavy took a while to park it so im guessing power steering pump gone any ideas if this is easy to replace
thanks
Paula :),

·
13,721 Posts
Or a leak in a hydraulic pipe.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi I was driving home yesterday in my 2004 vivaro, and the power steering suddenly stopped working it was like trying to drive a tank so heavy took a while to park it so im guessing power steering pump gone any ideas if this is easy to replace
thanks
Paula :),
Hi, just checked under my bonnet and all the bolts on my steering pump Pulley are missing , no idea where they are,will i need to buy a new pump or a new Pulley ? please help thanks

·
Premium Member
5,086 Posts
so we can assume the pulley itself has come off along with the drivebelt?
as i recall the 1.9 does not have bolts holding the pulley on

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi, just checked under my bonnet and all the bolts on my steering pump Pulley are missing , no idea where they are,will i need to buy a new pump or a new Pulley ? please help thanks
so we can assume the pulley itself has come off along with the drivebelt?
Thanks for reply, no the pulley and belt are still on

·
Premium Member
5,086 Posts
sounds like either the pump or steering rack seals have failed. either way , normally youd have a leak.
unless the pump has completely failed internally .

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok thanks for your help ill check again for any oil leaks that happen overnight in the morning,

·
Premium Member
5,086 Posts
to answer your original question . you’ll need a new pump with the correct number of grooves. 5 for non air con and 6 for aircon models.
the only stumbling point is the high pressure steel pipe and nut going into the pump. they tend to rust together and the nut wont want to be twisted about too much . crack the nut loose before removing the pump, then remove the pump from the engine and unwind it from the pipe.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts