Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
changed the stabiliser bar that goes into the wishbone and now my power steering seems to be very heavy dont know if its related i have noticed in the last few days when i turn wheels full lock the belt squeals anyone any idea what problem might be

·
Registered
149 Posts
Rather than start a new thread I'll ask in this one as I have the same problem - my power steering seems a tad heavy compared to on my old G reg Cav SRi. When I had the car in the Vauxhall dealers recently for unrelated work, I asked them about it and they said the steering was fine, but I'm not taking that as the gospel truth necessarily cos it seems heavy to me! :mmmm (Tyre pressures are fine btw)

Can someone please tell me the answer to a n00b question - just WHERE is the power steering drivebelt? My Haynes manual tells you how to check the belt's tension but it doesn't actually tell you where it is. All I can see in the engine compartment is the fanbelt - does that double as the power steering belt? If not, where is it hiding?! :O

I would hope the steering components are all okay considering the car only passed its MOT a few weeks ago...

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
overseer said:
Rather than start a new thread I'll ask in this one as I have the same problem - my power steering seems a tad heavy compared to on my old G reg Cav SRi. When I had the car in the Vauxhall dealers recently for unrelated work, I asked them about it and they said the steering was fine, but I'm not taking that as the gospel truth necessarily cos it seems heavy to me! :mmmm (Tyre pressures are fine btw)

Can someone please tell me the answer to a n00b question - just WHERE is the power steering drivebelt? My Haynes manual tells you how to check the belt's tension but it doesn't actually tell you where it is. All I can see in the engine compartment is the fanbelt - does that double as the power steering belt? If not, where is it hiding?! :O

I would hope the steering components are all okay considering the car only passed its MOT a few weeks ago...
Your power steering belt is on the left hand side of the engine bay (when viewed from the front). The power steering pump is more-or-less directly underneath the top radiator hose and thermostat.

As you've got a later redtop engine, you will proably have a single 'ribbed v-belt' which runs your alternator and steering pump rather than the 2 drive-belts fitted to earlier redtops. You also probably have an automatic tensioner on this belt (tension cannot be adjusted).

Was your G-reg an 8-valve - the redtop engine is heavier which might explain your heavier steering. I personally like the 'heavy' power steering as it gives more feedback.

If your belt is fine and your power steering fluid is in good condition then your heavy steering is probably normal. :Cool2:

·
Registered
149 Posts
Ah I see, cheers for that - yes there is just one belt there :) It seems tight enough as per the Haynes manual - approx half an inch of movement. I was kinda hoping there was a separate power steering belt somewhere which was dead loose!

Yeah it is possible the steering is normal as I haven't driven any other redtop Cavs before... it has the standard 15" wheels and tyres btw. (well actually it has steel wheels which the previous owner had fitted 'cos the original alloys had deteriorated, but that wouldn't make any difference I expect?)

The power steering fluid level is okay but whether the actual fluid is in good condition I have no idea.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hi

I have the same issue as above. Looking at the fluid it does not seem a clear red like in the other vehicles I own. Maybe a fluid change will sort it so this may well be your problem overseer. My fluid is the original, 11 years old and 128K!

HTH

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'll have to go through all the old receipts to see if it's ever been done - it does have a FSH up to a year ago so it might have been done at some point. Otherwise changing it does seem a good idea, I agree :up:

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
Power steering fluid seems to often get forgotten - if it looks anything like used engine oil, it needs changing ASAP.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts