Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My Vectra appears to have developed a leak somewhere from its power steering, I know this because I keep having to top up the resivoir at least once a month, so I know it's not leaking great amounts but I have two questions for anyone who knows anything about power steering.

1. Is it dangerous that it's leakaking?

2. Is it an M.O.T Faliure?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Matt.

·
Premium Member
7,262 Posts
the usual suspect would be the sealing washers on the pipe unions to the rack , they are some kind of aluminium & corrode through , this gives the leak.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
silly question time again but, any one know what's the worst case and best case scenerio and general cost of power steering leaks? (obviously i know it depends on where it's leaking from) is it also possible that the rack can get a leak ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
My Vectra (02- new Shape) had the same Problem,leaking both Sides.VM Garage fitted new Unit + Pump but for a pricy £708,-- Customer Care was not willing to pay anything toward it.Car has only 23000 Miles done but is 5 Years old.so out of Warranty.Search for a cheaper Garage or buy a recon.Rack and fit it Yourself.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys you've kind of put my mind at rest, as it's not loosing a great deal of fluid it can't be the expensive rack (I hope) !!! well I will find out next week when it goes in to be checked for the leak and it's dreaded M.O.T !!!! hope it passes.

Thanks again guys.

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
My Vectra (02- new Shape) had the same Problem,leaking both Sides.VM Garage fitted new Unit + Pump but for a pricy £708,-- Customer Care was not willing to pay anything toward it.Car has only 23000 Miles done but is 5 Years old.so out of Warranty.Search for a cheaper Garage or buy a recon.Rack and fit it Yourself.
A car with just 23k on it that needs that doing is shocking :shake

1 - 9 of 9 Posts