Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. Just swapped my 2006zafira z19dt engine for a replacment.. done it on the drive and out took it out the top. power steering was working fine before hand was undisturbed during the transplant and worked for the first 8 miles of the new engine's first trip yesterday.

Upon finishing the build I bought a new battery and I had to prime and crank the new engine so much it completely flattened the battery. Charged it up fully and with a few more primes and cranks it fired and runs great. Everything was working had a few pedal test errors relating to the CIM but this issue was there before (flashing spanner on start up.. take key out put it back in and it starts fine was planning in getting it upgraded soon to fix this)

So anyway took it out for a spin to make sure it was all working and little behold 7 miles in the power steering failed. Drove it home for investigation. Checked fluid. It's a bit low but not low enough for complete failure. Done another pedal test and the codes 62102 50074 210304 210306 161450 and 161600. All but the 62102 was up before hand and have solved these myself. The 62102 I belive is due to the altenator apparently not charging. Well that's not right as I have checked the battery and checked the charging via multimeter.. the battery when engine off is 12.5 (after not being driven today) battery when running at idle with nothing switched on is 14.2 and with all electrical stuff on like lights radio aircon blinkers etc and engine at 2000 rpm the reading is the same at 14.2... so in my mind nothing going on there. So altenator seems fine. So this took me to the power steering harness whipped it out and all looks fine. Plugged all back in thinking it might of been a loose connection and still nothing. So thought I'd pull the power earth and signal wires off rhe pump and test them. Even tested the 80amp fuse. And the readings are this with engine running. Power steering power line 14.2. The earth is earthed well. The 80 amp fuse has 14.2 going to it and now this is the confusing part. The signal wires. White one green one and a black one all have no readings. So I'm guessing the ECU is not sending a signal.. so I'm thinking this is more am ecu fault than a mechanical issue. Does anyone have any input on this? I've ordered an opcom reader. Should be here in next few days....

Thanks all. Look forward to hearing from you.

·
Worn Out Member
7,884 Posts
It sounds like the ZF rather than the TRW setup,the white and green are can wiring the black should have ignition voltage,
there's also a couple of different setups (with and without REC)
so check both options fuses FE27 & FE29

Reactions: Fred Bassett

·
Worn Out Member
7,884 Posts
Here's the wiring diagram,just confirm this is the system you have regarding wiring colours
Untitled picture.png
Untitled picture2.png

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for that buddy. I will look into it more today see what else is going on. I have had another issue this morning and am Abit confused. Took it for a 20 mile run last night ran flawlessly. Went out the this morning and the oil reading on the dipstick was half way up the stick. I gave it a wipe and tried again still half way up. Gave it a fair few more wipes and retried and it seemed to kinda level off on the max and min part of the stick. Started the engine let it run checked when cool and seems ok. Done this a few more times. Ran for 10 mins. Cooled for 10 mins and check again and it now stays between max and min. It don't smell like diesel or anything other than oil. I put 4.5l of oil in when I re filled the engine. May of been a bit left in the engine but not enough for half way up the stick. Any ideas? Does the 120 have a DPF my opcom will be here tomoz so could do a regeneration on that.. but like said it don't smell like fuel at all.. Seen online that a fair few others with the cdti engines have had this issue but no real explination to why it happens. Oil pressure light has a flashed a few times but is only for a second if that and very randomly. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
27,938 Posts
Oil le
Thanks for that buddy. I will look into it more today see what else is going on. I have had another issue this morning and am Abit confused. Took it for a 20 mile run last night ran flawlessly. Went out the this morning and the oil reading on the dipstick was half way up the stick. I gave it a wipe and tried again still half way up. Gave it a fair few more wipes and retried and it seemed to kinda level off on the max and min part of the stick. Started the engine let it run checked when cool and seems ok. Done this a few more times. Ran for 10 mins. Cooled for 10 mins and check again and it now stays between max and min. It don't smell like diesel or anything other than oil. I put 4.5l of oil in when I re filled the engine. May of been a bit left in the engine but not enough for half way up the stick. Any ideas? Does the 120 have a DPF my opcom will be here tomoz so could do a regeneration on that.. but like said it don't smell like fuel at all.. Seen online that a fair few others with the cdti engines have had this issue but no real explination to why it happens. Oil pressure light has a flashed a few times but is only for a second if that and very randomly. Thanks
oil level being up past the max mark is normal on the first couple of pull outs usually the 3rd time you get the correct reading , i think it's the design of the tube that causes the oil to drag on the dipstick.

Reactions: Valer

·
Worn Out Member
7,884 Posts
I agree with Fred,they can be difficult to get a decent reading from (the 1.7's are even worse)
some of the 120's have a dpf,some don't

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah since this morning I have pulled and wiped probs 20 times. Am taking her out for the day today fingers crossed it runs well. Time will tell. Adding breakdown to the policy just in case tho. Thanks for your help il report back this evening.

·
Worn Out Member
7,884 Posts
when you get back on the EHPS i'd have a look at connector X12,those 3 wires run through it
Untitled picture.png

·
Worn Out Member
7,884 Posts
the pic is of the bulkhead,it's a black 5 pin connector and should be on the passenger side

·
Super Moderator
27,938 Posts
Trying to get my head round that picture. Where is that connector?

Well the car drove very well done nearly 100 miles.

Air bag light is now on. Wondering if it's related to the ps fault?
It is starting to sound like a connection issue .

·
Worn Out Member
7,884 Posts
I'm wondering if the p/s is working again,i wouldn't want to drive 100miles without it,
i can only only manage about 10miles max lol

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
Are you sure the battery and alternator are ok? The steering and airbag systems are normally the first to indicate a charging system fault.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm wondering if the p/s is working again,i wouldn't want to drive 100miles without it,
i can only only manage about 10miles max lol
Nope not fixed just manned up and drive her round. It's not been easy but 50 miles of that was duel carriage ways and motorways so wasn't too bad.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Are you sure the battery and alternator are ok? The steering and airbag systems are normally the first to indicate a charging system fault.
Yeah I'm pretty sure there totally fine. Could you give me what you would think be ideal readings for what it should be at at running?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I really hope it's something simple. I can't get the car back on ramps now for a few days as the misses car needs a few things doing so it's taken the drive space. Will opcom be able to tell me if it's connection issues. As it's here tomorrow?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Any of you guys in the Bristol area fancy like having a look? I've got a spare engine with parts I can trade for help lol

1 - 20 of 22 Posts