Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! New to VxON, member of other forums, depending on the car ;).

Having a few issues with my 2011 2.0CDTI Insignia. A few to say the least anyway. Mechanically the car is pretty sound, but I was a victim of the dreaded Steering Rack failure. The issue I am having was there before the steering rack began to exhibit any issues, and is there after a steering rack change.

The issues i am having, driving on a straight road the car is driving perfectly straight.... think you can imagine where this is going...:ROFLMAO:. When driving on cambered roads the car will drift to the left also to the right while driving on the other side of the road, when testing on quiet roads, when safe of course. When driving on the crown of the road the car does drive straight. I know cars are supposed to drift with the camber of the road, but I cant explain how saviour the drift is. I have had 3 different alignments done, by 3 different places, 2 front alignments, and a 4 wheel alignment. The issue is no were near as bad as it was after the 4 wheel alignment, but the issue is still there. My steering wheel does sit straight, until obviously I come to a cambered road, I have to steer to the left or right, depending, to stop me driving into walls, hedges, whatever. The other issue which has been there since before the rack change, which im thinking/hoping could be related to my drifting issue, is when driving on different roads, country roads, main roads, motorways etc, my steering wheel begins to vibrate, from various speeds, anything from around 35mph and up, and when breaking from motorway speeds the vibration becomes 100 times worse! until around 35mph when it disappears completely.

Now for the list of changes. The rack has been changed, a long with the track rod ends, the front/back discs and pads have all been changed, within the last 2,000 miles. The caliper slide pins have all been copper slipped, and are moving freely, I have checked all-round to insure none are sticking, all free and spinning perfectly, I have also pushed all the pistons back to make sure i have no sticking pistons.

I have jacked the car up, and checked everything is tight, from the anti roll ball bushes, bottom ball joint, lower arm bushes, etc, and I can not find anything that could cause such issues. Everything does seem tight. I have had my car up in the air, thanks to my friends car lift, again all feels tight.

Sorry for the long post, but I am running out of patients with this car, I do like the car but I have OCD when it comes to how I like a car to drive, and im afraid this one just isnt cutting it.

Can anyone PLEASE help me.

I appreciate you taking the time to read this and welcome any feed back or ideas.

All the best.:);)

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
the insignia do not like budget tyres as do not matter how meney time they get ballencend car do not like even by doing the type off ballence diffrent each time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What size wheels & tyres ?
Hi Fred.

Thanks for the reply.
The car us running Continental ContiSportContact 3 all around. Tried different PSI settings, from as low as 28PSI and up to 32PSI. I even purchased an analogue tyre pressure gauge as petrol station forecourts are using digital gauges but they never calibrate them. Ive found most to be almost 2PSI out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the insignia do not like budget tyres as do not matter how meney time they get ballencend car do not like even by doing the type off ballence diffrent each time.
Hi Veboy,

Im currently running Continental ContiSportContact 3, I have read before that Insignias are sensitive to tyre choice, and the Continental tyre gets a good review, even tho I do find the road noise a little loud. I have seen good reviews on Michelin Pilot Sport for Insignias, but its an expensive decision.

·
Super Moderator
26,962 Posts
Hi Fred.

Thanks for the reply.
The car us running Continental ContiSportContact 3 all around. Tried different PSI settings, from as low as 28PSI and up to 32PSI. I even purchased an analogue tyre pressure gauge as petrol station forecourts are using digital gauges but they never calibrate them. Ive found most to be almost 2PSI out.
What size wheels 18 or bigger ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What size wheels 18 or bigger ?
245/45 r18. Had 225/55 r17 when i purchased the car, expierening the same issue with both rim sizes, drifting and steering wheel vibrations. Changed to 2012/2016 Insignia 18" rims about 6 months ago, no difference. Was running Hankook tyres on the old 17" rims.

My previous car was running 225/45 r17, and it drove straight even on fairly bad cambered roads. Unless the Hankook and Continental tryes have very stiff side walls.

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
Swapping wheels and still having the same problem rules out a buckled alloy / wheel. Other than what you've already done I cannot offer anymore suggestions. It hasn't been in a smash has it?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Swapping wheels and still having the same problem rules out a buckled alloy / wheel. Other than what you've already done I cannot offer anymore suggestions. It hasn't been in a smash has it?
From what ive been able to find, nothing suggests it has, checked the chassis, looks straight, the front body panels all have the same spacing between then, door gap to the wing, ect, the inside of the boot is all straight and true. Its a strange one alright

Ive been doing some research on the Continental tyres im running, and the reviews are mixed. People reporting vibrations o_O

A few Saab fourms reporting the same issues, and as Saabs are basically running Vauxhall chassis, there is a bit of a commom theme there. I dont want to spend massive amounts of money on it that might not cure the issues. Changing tyres, esp for a good brand, isnt cheap :eek::oops:

·
Super Moderator
26,962 Posts
When the Insignia first hit the fleet market many drivers complained of the issues you've mentioned , the cure appeared via changing the wheel size down to 16inch .

·
Premium Member
677 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When the Insignia first hit the fleet market many drivers complained of the issues you've mentioned , the cure appeared via changing the wheel size down to 16inch .
Down to 16" :eek: nooo way! Damn! Thought they might have sorted the issue by 2011 though.

Im at a loss as to were to go next, the car doesn't even have 70,000 miles on it yet so there is still some resale value left in it. But i dont want to let it go and find out its a faulty something or other and could have it driving perfectly for £100 or something! I do like the car, But there has to be a cut off point. :unsure:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Have you tried putting the front wheels on the back to see if it makes any difference? If it makes no difference it would suggest ruling out a problem with the wheels / tyres (unless 1 or more wheels are buckled or have not been balanced properly).

Have a read here for some good points: https://www.rac.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?19435-Default-steering-wheel-shaking-and-wobble

and here : http://www.justanswer.com/uk-car/68jyx-vauxhall-insignia-insignia-car-vibration-whilst-driving.html
Ive tried changing fronts to back, same issue, had them reballanced, same again.... ive had the car up on axel stands, in gear, checking the rims for any wobble and checking the tyres for any wobble, all seem to be well. But id need to get it up to around 40/50 really to see. Not so easy on your own :cool:

I will read the links now! Thanks for your time and input on this guys, I really do apprentice you taking the time to help!

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
Ive tried changing fronts to back, same issue, had them reballanced, same again.... ive had the car up on axel stands, in gear, checking the rims for any wobble and checking the tyres for any wobble, all seem to be well. But id need to get it up to around 40/50 really to see. Not so easy on your own :cool:

I will read the links now! Thanks for your time and input on this guys, I really do apprentice you taking the time to help!
I hope it is of some use. Good luck getting it sorted

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
I doubt this will aplly to your 2001 model but cam across this and worth ruling out:

Field Remedy: 2692
Subject: Front axle suspension - Vibration
Models: Engines: Option:
Insignia 2009... All
Complaint: Slight vibration between 70 mph and 90 mph.
Cause: Addition of tolerances.

Remedy:
In case of customer complaint please exchange the rear bushing
of both lower front control arms. Improved parts can be ordered at
P&A.

Note: Wheels have to be very well balanced and have to be installed
to the hub according to the information given in TIS.

Spare parts: Part-number: Catalogue-number:

Bushing, damper, front- 13 315 674 3 52 496
suspension arm, rear

Labour Times: TC: Hours:

U3 269 20 Replace bushings 90 S.A.

The costs for this repair will be covered during the normal warranty.
The regular Warranty procedure will apply.

FunctionalGroup: E - Front wheel suspension/Wheels/Tyres
Complaint Group: 14 - Noises or Vibrations

Reactions: Fred Bassett

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I doubt this will aplly to your 2001 model but cam across this and worth ruling out:

Field Remedy: 2692
Subject: Front axle suspension - Vibration
Models: Engines: Option:
Insignia 2009... All
Complaint: Slight vibration between 70 mph and 90 mph.
Cause: Addition of tolerances.

Remedy:
In case of customer complaint please exchange the rear bushing
of both lower front control arms. Improved parts can be ordered at
P&A.

Note: Wheels have to be very well balanced and have to be installed
to the hub according to the information given in TIS.

Spare parts: Part-number: Catalogue-number:

Bushing, damper, front- 13 315 674 3 52 496
suspension arm, rear

Labour Times: TC: Hours:

U3 269 20 Replace bushings 90 S.A.

The costs for this repair will be covered during the normal warranty.
The regular Warranty procedure will apply.

FunctionalGroup: E - Front wheel suspension/Wheels/Tyres
Complaint Group: 14 - Noises or Vibrations
Hmmmmm thats interesting! Where did you find that? I remember seeing somethig about the older models having lower arm bush issues but mine seem solid, obviously :ROFLMAO:i can recreate the forces driving at 40mph put through the bushs sitting on a trolly jack in the driveway, so its a possibility !!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Interesting update. Just got home from a 30 mile motorway trip, in traditional Irish weather, wet and windy. What ive noticed, which is leading me to believe its suspension related, in high winds, the car is all over the place, drifting in and out of the lane. Also, when coming out past a lorry, as soon as the front of the car gets infront of the lorry, the car drifts off to the opposite side! Usually as always, lorrys on the inside lane, so usually the car well pull off to the right.

I believe if a car is handing poor in windy conditions, it can be a sign of suspension issues? Would i be right in saying that? Or am i talking

·
Super Moderator
26,962 Posts
Interesting update. Just got home from a 30 mile motorway trip, in traditional Irish weather, wet and windy. What ive noticed, which is leading me to believe its suspension related, in high winds, the car is all over the place, drifting in and out of the lane. Also, when coming out past a lorry, as soon as the front of the car gets infront of the lorry, the car drifts off to the opposite side! Usually as always, lorrys on the inside lane, so usually the car well pull off to the right.

I believe if a car is handing poor in windy conditions, it can be a sign of suspension issues? Would i be right in saying that? Or am i talking
That's normal when passing lorries in wet & windy weather , i have to hold the steering wheel really tight in my Astra but i still get that shove as i go past .

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That's normal when passing lorries in wet & windy weather , i have to hold the steering wheel really tight in my Astra but i still get that shove as i go past .
Ive experienced the draft from a lorry, ive been driving long enough, but this car is in a league of its own compared to other cars ive owned over the years. It would quite happily put you into the crash barrier in the blink of an eye, thats not normal

Driving in the middle of the lane, on my own, wind sends the car all over the place, even if there are no grooves in the lane and it is perfectly flat, car goes where ever, while the steering wheel is shaking away. Its getting dangerous at this stage now. I wouldn't let anyone else drive my car. Im having to counter steer badly just to keep the car going straight in moderate winds. Ive never experienced anything like this before with a car. This is what is leading me to possible suspension issues

·
Super Moderator
26,962 Posts
Ive experienced the draft from a lorry, ive been driving long enough, but this car is in a league of its own compared to other cars ive owned over the years. It would quite happily put you into the crash barrier in the blink of an eye, thats not normal

Driving in the middle of the lane, on my own, wind sends the car all over the place, even if there are no grooves in the lane and it is perfectly flat, car goes where ever, while the steering wheel is shaking away. Its getting dangerous at this stage now. I wouldn't let anyone else drive my car. Im having to counter steer badly just to keep the car going straight in moderate winds. Ive never experienced anything like this before with a car. This is what is leading me to possible suspension issues
Are you sure it's never been in crash or maybe took a wack with a kerb etc ?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts