Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 21 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How easy to change heater matrix ??

Hi all, heater poor temp, disconnect both matrix pipes by egr & rear of stat, hose pipe on gentle an water struggles to pass through matrix.
Added HOLTS SPEEDFLUSH to run through tomorrow then drop coollant an refill an see what happens.

·
Premium Member
16,260 Posts
Did you flush it both ways on the matrix pipes.

Reactions: andy_v

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hose pipe feed into 1 matrix pipe, i should see the same steady flow out the other pipe exit from matrix ?

·
14,130 Posts
"Hose pipe on gentle" is not going to do much, you need to give it a good blast with the hose to shift any build up in the matrix. Best done in the reverse direction to which the water normally flows.

Reactions: andy_v

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tried feeding water down 1 pipe then the other alternating etc, even filled matrix removed hosepipe then blow down pipe full of water to force out the other side ... struggled to do this, will be trying the flush tomorrow, wandering how much of a job to rem/repl etc, seen new if needed 2yr guarantee for £23.00, but trying the 4.99 flush 1st , cheers to those who have read and commented, appreiated.

·
Premium Member
16,260 Posts
I've never done one but can't see it being too hard once you have all the trim panels from inside off.

·
14,130 Posts
I replaced one on my Corsa B and it wasn't too bad a job.

·
Premium Member
2,503 Posts
I had to get the jet wash on my old corsa C, the hose pipe didnt seem upto the job, few blasts from the jet wash and it worked a treat

replacing matrix - never got round to it, had the part they are cheap about £30 and will take 1 to 2 hours for the full job.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Stat works fine, 92degrees boil water starts to open at about 95-100 degrees, final run later to see how everything went

·
Premium Member
16,260 Posts
The gauge should read 85ish after about 2-3 miles from stone cold. If it does the stats OK.

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
Stat works fine, 92degrees boil water starts to open at about 95-100 degrees, final run later to see how everything went
Sounds like a good thermostat if the heater matrix flush doesnt work I would check the hot and cold heater controls arnt broke but sounds like your on the right track

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update: been monitoring passed couple days - sat in traffic doesn't overheat - guage nicely sits at 80-90degrees, fan does work and coolant level stays constant ....... so next xtage is remove the matrix and have a look an more than likely replace :( but will inspect it upon removal.

·
Premium Member
16,260 Posts
If your going to remove it then I'd just replace it as a matter of course They are cheap as chips.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Will be getting 1 in - just need to wait again now till I can do without car for a day and nice weather etc, main road gets hairy at times (y)

·
14,130 Posts
You will know straight away when you take it out if it is blocked by the weight of it. The one I replaced was really heavy due to all the sediment and corrosion trapped inside it. New ones don't weigh very much at all.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well the weather eased - so panels off - engine running and warm - digital thermometer (precission) - the lower & upper pipes nicely reaching 40+ degrees and still climbing, the lower pipe temp rose 1st presuming this to be feed.
Now the end core of the matrix at the TOP ... well the colours should say it all really, RED for HOT and BLUE for .......

So it looks like gona be a new 1, the heat control cable on the heater box is rotating full travel, once the matrix is out I will try and look upwards to check any visable flap condition etc aswell ...

Attachments

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just a quick query - I have scanned through the Vaux online catalog: https://workshop-manuals.com/vauxhall/corsa- etc, and cant see how to remove the heaterbox - should I have wanted to go that far etc, is there any other good Vaux workshop catalog links out there,

Heater matrix ordered, free delivery if ordered by 3pm arrives today :) so all being well, a Volvo diesel fuel filter to fit tomorrow morning followed by my matrix - weather depending - Volvo job pays for the corsa .... :cool:

·
14,130 Posts
Does it not just slide out sideways once you remove the pipes going to it? Slacken the mounting block for the heater pipes where they pass through the bulkhead to give you some wiggle room for the pipes going to the matrix.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yeah - the fittings I have slackened slightly to see if free etc or wether it will give problems - yeah should just slide out - I only mentioned the weblink should I have wanted to pull more of the dash out etc, just curious on that 1, but hoping this weekend, changing matrix - eurocarparts weekend special code and free delivery £30.00 - cant grumble as was same day delivery aswell - will report back soon as matrix changed - image below shows what I got for my cash ....

Attachments

1 - 21 of 25 Posts