Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will all newbies, who 'charge' into this forum with 'Posts: 1' and a title saying 'Help! The thingy is not working and the whatitsname is stuck', have the common decency to update us with the results of the repairs kindly oferred by the more knowledgable members in thses forums, instead of simply disapearing into the horizon with the words 'Cheers mate, I'll try it tomorrow'. Thank you very much...

·
Registered
782 Posts
Rightly said,

The reason for using the forum is to help others and be helped but if people dont report back to say that the problem was solved how are we to know how to help others in the future or am i talking :turd

Anyway its snowing again:shame:

·
CavWeb's Official Penis!
5,913 Posts
markjay said:
Will all newbies, who 'charge' into this forum with 'Posts: 1' and a title saying 'Help! The thingy is not working and the whatitsname is stuck', have the common decency to update us with the results of the repairs kindly oferred by the more knowledgable members in thses forums, instead of simply disapearing into the horizon with the words 'Cheers mate, I'll try it tomorrow'. Thank you very much...

Please refer to 'the moaning thread'.........................:lmao:

·
Registered
114 Posts
I always wondered why job adverts for foreman mechanics in main dealerships had IT skills higher than job background, It' so that they can surf these sites rather than having any technical knowledge themselves.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The info in these forums is based on real-life experiences, which is much more valuable the any text-book solution. Haynes can say things like '... remove cranckcase breather as decribed in chapter 5...' etc, but you have to see what RB went through in order to really appreciate what's involved.

·
Registered
114 Posts
markjay said:
The info in these forums is based on real-life experiences, which is much more valuable the any text-book solution. Haynes can say things like '... remove cranckcase breather as decribed in chapter 5...' etc, but you have to see what RB went through in order to really appreciate what's involved.
Markjay, although slightly off the mark the post was a compliment to the guys on here and a dig at the professional mechanics who would be better learning from here. I'm well aware of the difficulties with access to engine parts etc I've worked on plenty but the problems are inbuilt by the manufacturer and unfortunately there are very few real mechanics out there as most are just fitters, if it's broke replace it don't dare fix it. It's the same with service tools, why make something that uses standard tools when they can make a special and make money by you having to use the main dealer or buy the tools, half of my tooling has been used once or twice only.

The whole idea of learning is from others experiences , good or bad. I learned from a trained mechanic and prefer to repair than throw away if possible, tuning was something that was done by listening to the engine and smelling the exhaust fumes, multiple carbs were set up with a length of petrol pipe and a screw driver and if you wanted more power it was engine mods rather than just plugging in a chip. The point being that the guys on here are in effect taking the place of the dying breed of mechanic who is capable of working out what is wrong and getting it sorted as soon as possible albeit with a bit of help from the diagnostic port on some occasions.

Back on the thread though, the majority of people don't like asking for help and when they do it is because of the lack of resources or knowledge. If they ask for help and muck up the job it is unlikely they will come back and admit it but then again common courtesy is also a dying phenomenon.

Keep up the excellent work,

Steve

1 - 7 of 7 Posts