Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, took car out the other day and running fine but once on motorway for a few miles engine light came on and car would not go above 60. Put a scanner on and its come up with the po607 code and says replace ECU/knock sensor. So can i first replace the knock sensor and then ecu if it doesn't fix the problem. I have taken knock sensor off and cleaned matting surfaces and put back on torqued to NM20. Cant find where knock sensor plugs into as yet as would like to clean contacts. Don't really wanna have to have ECU rebuilt if possible so any ideas folks.
cheers jeff

·
Premium Member
2,351 Posts
It might help if you gave the car and engine details! Crystal ball has stopped working!

Reactions: Valer and andy_v

·
Worn Out Member
6,208 Posts
Lately It's starting to seem like every other thread Andy,no details provided,
i've decided to stop asking now.i'll leave it to you ;) 👍

Reactions: Alan G H and andy_v

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi, took car out the other day and running fine but once on motorway for a few miles engine light came on and car would not go above 60. Put a scanner on and its come up with the po607 code and says replace ECU/knock sensor. So can i first replace the knock sensor and then ecu if it doesn't fix the problem. I have taken knock sensor off and cleaned matting surfaces and put back on torqued to NM20. Cant find where knock sensor plugs into as yet as would like to clean contacts. Don't really wanna have to have ECU rebuilt if possible so any ideas folks.
cheers jeff
Sorry guys, what an idiot. car is Astra G club estate, year 2000, 1.6, 8v. Engine number x16SXR

·
Worn Out Member
6,208 Posts
It looks as though the sensor wiring is part of the engine loom,no connector until you get to the ECM (X56,25 & 17)

Untitled picture.png

Reactions: andy_v

·
Premium Member
16,227 Posts
Seen a few faulty ecus show this code on the early engine astra g.

Reactions: andy_v

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It looks as though the sensor wiring is part of the engine loom,no connector until you get to the ECM (X56,25 & 17)

View attachment 93400
Thanks for the wiring diagram, I've just taken car down motorway as it only trips on at above about 65 after a few miles. and sure enough engine light came on and then sluggish on acceleration. When you stop engine an switch back on engine light goes off and stays of so long as you stay under 60 and acceleration is fine again which seems strange as would have thought if the ECU was knackered it would come on all the time?

·
Premium Member
14,198 Posts
Does it have any oil in it, seen knock sensor codes due to low oil level..... also you sure the knock sensor code appears because its misfiring.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oil level is fine with new oil an filter. If timing belt was out by one notch would that cause the problem?. Gonna replace knock sensor and get ECU rebuilt I think. Do you know any good ECU rebuilders, I'm based in Birmingham.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well nothing has worked. Had ECU checked and no faults found, replaced knock sensor. Runs great until hit the dreaded 65 and on comes engine light again. No wonder people hate electronics. po607 says knock sensor/replace ecu but nothing wrong with either of these. Gonna check wiring next but cant see it being that as surely light would come on straight away rather than at 65. Points and condensers for me every time.

·
Premium Member
16,227 Posts
I've seen plenty of ecu's that have come back from testing with a clean bill of health and still be faulty.

I assume timing is correct etc

·
Premium Member
14,198 Posts
I still think its the ecu, is it possible to move it enough so its not getting so hot, maybe unbolt it from the manifold and add an earth wire from the ecu body to the battery negative post and see what happens, if it dont fault at 65 then.............

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've seen plenty of ecu's that have come back from testing with a clean bill of health and still be faulty.

I assume timing is correct etc
It runs fine but gonna double check the timing belt marks to make sure it's not a notch out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I still think its the ecu, is it possible to move it enough so its not getting so hot, maybe unbolt it from the manifold and add an earth wire from the ecu body to the battery negative post and see what happens, if it dont fault at 65 then.............
Mine sits behind the battery so quite easy to bung an extra lead onto it, cheers I'll give it a try.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts