Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
LAST NIGHT i TRIED TO BLEED WATER AGAIN AS BELOW WITH WATER BOTTLE CAP OFF. IT JUST STARTS BUBBLING OUT OF THERE. AM I DOING SOMETHING WRONG OR DOES THIS SOUND LIKE HEAD GASKET? NO SIGN OF OIL & WATER MIXING!! OR COULD THE COOLING SYSTEM BE BLOCKED? HOW DO I FLUSH - WHICH HOSES DO I RUN HOSE THROUGH?

Hi, I just bought a (2000) V reg Tigra 1.4 Chequers for my g/friend and to my dispair can't get the heaters to work. It's only done 66k and drove 23 miles back home ok - except no heaters. I thought initially it would be thermostat but after placing in boiling water in a saucepan discovered it works ok!!

I had a look underneath and found that somebody had chopped and bridged a hose that goes to the heater matrix inlet. (the one with a 2 way valve). This pipe had a rather bad kink in it so, I obtained a new heater matrix inlet pipe from a breakers yard off an earlier Tigra ( the one with a T junction - I think this pipe comes from the head of the engine and runs to matrix inlet also somewhere by throttle (area to right by expansion tank).
Any way, after hours of tedious work replacing this pipe and refiting the valve and then replacing coolant I have run the car upto 95+ degrees with the expansion bottle lid off, heater fan on and still NO WARM ( only very slightly warm) air. The water is bubbling viciously out of the expansion tank as it soars for 100 on temp gauge - no fan kicking in and at this point I have been stopping engine and topping water back up.

Any help regarding the coolant system, bleeding or replacing pipes new for old would be greatfully received.

Many thanks

Sam

·
PS3 Gamer Tag = gibbo-69
1,682 Posts
to bleed the system put heaters on full and on hot, leave the expansion tank cap off and leav ethe engine running keeping a eye on the coolant level, when u feel the level isnt droping and the water in the tank is getting hot, top up to max level and put cap on.

check it every other day for 4/5 days as it will go down again, top it up as required and it should be fine from here on.

now if its not a bleeding issue it could be your themostat locked in the closed position, in which case u need to sort it asap.

to test a thermostat remove it and place in a bowl of freshly boiled kettle water, and see if it opens

o and id say the matrix was probs bypassed because of a blockage or summit, by pass it again and see if it works, if so u know ur fault

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hI pHIL, THANKS FOR TAKING THE TIME TO REPLY.

I already boiled up the thermo and it did open although only once boiling the water.

The fan doesn't seem to want to kick in and I cant seem to get any warm air from the heaters.

Is there an easy way of flushing matrix ? as I had a nightmare working from underneath to change the inlet pipe!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.